Community

Install RU Viewer on NAS for access on LAN

Links used in this discussion
Paul Truswell, User (Posts: 12)
Sep 16, 2020 12:50:49 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Is it possible to install RU Viewer to a shared folder on our NAS? This is primarily so that we can see the same connection objects on RU Viewer on our 2 office PCs. I have checked 'C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Remote Utilities Files' and 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Remote Utilities - Viewer' for likely candidates for the connection objects, but these are not easily identified (I might be looking in the wrong directories!) so perhaps there is an easier way of achieving this?  Visibility of the same connection objects on both instances of RU Viewer on (in this case) 2 PCs would give us the ability to start a remote support session with a customer on one computer and then continue it (if necessary) on the second. Thanks in advance for your assistance with this excellent software :)
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2832)
Sep 16, 2020 2:58:21 pm EDT
Hello Paul,

Thank you for your message.

For your scenario, you can simply use the Portable Viewer solution that provides the same functionality as regular Viewer but doesn't require installation and stores all files in a single folder of choice.

Alternatively, it's also possible to install regular Viewer on both machines as usual and then set up an automatic update of the address book through a shared folder. Here's a step-by-step guide on setting up the automatic update of the address book through a shared resource.
However, please note that it's best to use this method if there's only one person who works with the software. For a multi-user environment it is recommended to use the sync server instead. For more information on the sync server, please refer to this page.

Hope that helps.
Paul Truswell, User (Posts: 12)
Sep 17, 2020 3:26:00 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Thanks Polina, that's fine. Local RU server sounds favourite. I'll give that a go using your excellently clear guide.

We've continued trialling our second RU Agent with better success rate - the conflict with Win SmartScreen problem seems to have gone away, so we're getting nearer to RU becoming our first-choice remote access solution :)

Once again, many thanks :)
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2832)
Sep 17, 2020 12:38:37 pm EDT
Hello Paul,

I'm glad to hear we were able to help!

Please feel free to post another message if you have more questions. We're happy to assist!

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)