Community

Cannot connect a new Windows 10 host with Windows 7 viewer

Links used in this discussion
Sonny Tatum, User (Posts: 1)
Oct 24, 2020 6:31:41 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
I have upgraded both host and viewer machines to 6.10.  I am using RU with two existing Win 7 machines (hosts and viewers) with no problem.  When I introduced the Win 10 machine and installed host on it it created a 12 digit Internet ID.  The other machines use 9 digit Internet ID.  When I try to add the new Win 10 connection on Win 7 machine and click on it I get "unable to connect" with countdown.  How can I get this working??
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Oct 26, 2020 9:44:05 am EDT
Hello Sonny,

Thank you for your message.

Before we proceed to further troubleshooting, please try updating your Remote Utilities installations to the latest version as the issue might have already been resolved in the latest release. As of this writing, the latest version is 6.12.2.0 Beta 2. Please note that despite its name it's a fully functional release as it only contains bug fixes and improvements. The 6.12.2.0 Beta 2 version is available for the download on this page. When updating Remote Utilities please make sure to update both Host and Viewer to the same version as the version mismatch might lead to performance issues and some features not working.

In addition, please note that the 9-digit format of the Internet-ID code was used in much older versions of Remote Utilities and was replaced with a 12-digit Internet-code since version 6.6.0.2 in order to eliminate possible duplication issues and improve overall stability. However, 9-digit IDs are also supported for backward compatibility which means that you can still connect to older Host installations from newly updated Viewer. However, please note that we highly recommend that our users keep their installations up to date.

Finally, please try referring to this troubleshooting KB guide that provides solutions for the most common issues that might be preventing you from establishing Internet-ID connection and see if any of the provided solutions help to resolve the issue.

Please let us know if the solutions above did not help and the issue persists.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)