Community

Using RU with an pfSense HAProxy HA Proxy

Links used in this discussion
Aaron Jensen, User (Posts: 9)
Nov 03, 2020 6:01:11 pm EST
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has successfully used and been able to remotely access RU through an HA Proxy.  It's an reverse proxy that allows one or many devices/services/server to securely work without the need to open multiple ports in your firewall.  It's working for Plex, HTTP/HTTPS Web Servers, NAS, Homebridge etc.  I'm just curious if anyone has figured out if its even possible.

My 3 ways hopes are:
-Being able to connect to RU Server Admin Console
-Having Viewer connect to my Server for the address book
-Being able to connect my Hosts

Right now I'm using Public ID over 443 but if this works...then I could switch to a direct connection over 443.  pc1.domain.tld, pc2.domain.tld, ruserver.domain.tld

Thanks and worth a shot.
Nov 03, 2020 7:14:59 pm EST
Weird, I can't edit the original post.

I thought I had it working, but no, something else was port forwarded.
Edited:Aaron Jensen - Nov 03, 2020 10:06:38 pm EST
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Nov 05, 2020 10:54:09 am EST
Hello Aaron,

Thank you for your message.

Do you mean that you've tried configuring access through proxy in the Host Settings/Connection properties?

In case if you haven't done this yet, please try configuring access through proxy server as described in this tutorial and see if this work for you.

In addition, please note that in case if you want to utilize RU Server, then RU Server only uses a single TCP port 5655 to communicate with Hosts and Viewers. Alternatively, when using RU Server as your relay server, you can specify your custom port values. For more information on ports used by RU Server please see this page.

Hope that helps.
Nov 05, 2020 11:53:17 am EST
Polina,

I don't believe you'd setup the client device as a normal proxy.  HAProxy more or less takes an SNI request and routes it to the appropriate server, like a reverse proxy.  I don't think HAProxy will work with RU suites of utilities.  I was hoping someone might have a recipe to make this work, and well if no one does, then I doubt its possible.

Thanks for your response.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Nov 05, 2020 12:47:36 pm EST
Hello Aaron,

Thank you for the clarification.

Unfortunately, we cannot assist in resolving network administration or third-party software related issue as well as provide assistance on undocumented capabilities, since the program is provided as is. For more information please see our Support Policy.

However, perhaps other users of our Community Forum will provide a helpful solution. In addition, please consider referring to the HAProxy documentation.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Please let us know if you have other questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)