Community

Agent run under local system account

Links used in this discussion
Jia Lin Leong, User (Posts: 9)
Dec 04, 2020 3:16:44 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
Hi,
When I ran the agent.exe and pressed the 'Yes' button on the UAC, I found that the rutserv.exe is always running under SYSTEM (img2) instead of my normal user admin account "user". Is it possible to just let it run as normal admin user account like other applications Agent run under local system account - 04 Dec 2020 02:47:35(img1) whereby I can still can do the admin privilege task such as run cmd as admin (if I pressed 'No' button on the UAC, I cannot run client's cmd as admin)?

Thank you for the time and patient.
Attached Files
Dec 04, 2020 4:54:14 am EST
To make it clearer, 'user' is my current account which is an administer (img3). When I pressed 'No' in the UAC, rutserv.exe will be running under 'user' but viewer cannot run my pc's cmd as admin.
Attached Files
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Dec 04, 2020 10:51:56 am EST
Hello Jia Lin,

Thank you for your message.

Please note that you need to have elevated admin privileges when using Agent in order to perform actions that require admin rights. In order to do so, you can use the Restart Agent as... feature or simply use Host instead.

In addition, please note that if you click "No", then both rutserv.exe and rfusclient.exe processes are running under your current user, not under System - this means you're running Agent with no elevated privileges and, therefore, cannot perform any tasks that require such privileges. Here's also a related KB page that might provide some useful information.

Hope that helps.
Dec 08, 2020 4:39:43 am EST
Hi,
But why it will run under SYSTEM instead of 'user'? (since my pc is already running under 'user' which is already an admin user)

Thank you.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Dec 08, 2020 3:06:05 pm EST
Hello Jia Lin,

This is expected behavior since you're running Agent under an account with admin rights - if you want to run Agent specifically as "User", you simply need to choose "No" option on the UAC prompt that appears upon the Agent's launch.
Alternatively, you can also create an account with no admin privileges, so this way Agent will always run as "User" unless you use the "Restart Agent as..." feature and enter the admin credentials.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)