Community

Possible way to store a set password with the portable version?

Links used in this discussion
Jaydn Hubalek, User (Posts: 3)
Mar 15, 2021 5:36:18 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Hey guys.

I'm trying to find a program that lets me remote into any computer I plug a USB into.
I'm doing some unattended windows installs, and it'd be handy to not have to plug monitors, keyboards and mice into any of them.
The software works brilliantly (Unlike Windows remote desktop) spent half a day trying to get it to listen to port 3389 which was impossible.

The only issue is if I set a single password on the portable exe, it seems to only remember that on the computer I've run it on; any other PC it goes back to autogenerated (which obviously without monitors I can't see). I presume it generates a config file somewhere, and I'd love to be able to set a static password that works so long as it's paired with that exe.
Mar 15, 2021 5:39:24 pm EDT
Additional information: It's over a local network, just one switch.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Mar 16, 2021 8:02:41 am EDT
Hi Jaydn,

Thank you for your message.

If you mean the Agent module, it keeps its settings in the registry despite it being a module for spontaneous support. The portability that you describe was never meant to be a use case for Agent. Users are supposed to download Agent on the computer where they run it.

However, you can still achieve what you want. Just create your own pre-configured Agent using the MSI Configurator. You can set the single password in the last step of the configuration process.
Mar 17, 2021 4:33:49 am EDT
Thanks for your reply :)

I actually came across the same registry file yesterday, used some MS software to monitor what files were being accessed and it works perfectly.
I just setup a script to automatically add it to the registry.

Please don't change this ability in future updates, so far your software has been the easiest to use and does exactly what I need :)

Once I setup more than one machine and confirm it works as required I'll organise to get a single technician license.

One additional question.. Instead of connecting via IP over lan, what's the possibility of having it able to connect by entering the Mac address? (I've not yet tried it, maybe it already can)

The switch I'm stuck using is pretty old and only lists the MAC per port, I have to use CMD arp-a to determine the IP I actually want.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Mar 17, 2021 2:12:48 pm EDT
Hello Jaydn,

Thank you for your message.

Instead of connecting via IP over lan, what's the possibility of having it able to connect by entering the Mac address? (I've not yet tried it, maybe it already can)

You can access Host directly via IP address or its hostname (i.e. DNS name).

Alternatively, an even easier way to access remote Host is via the Internet-ID connection. Remote Utilities also has an implemented mechanism that detects a direct route and, if available, automatically uses it even if you're connecting via the Internet-ID code.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)