Community

Occasional issues connecting to a computer over the internet

Links used in this discussion
dbartos, User (Posts: 5)
Aug 05, 2021 2:48:49 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Hello, sometimes but not with all, I have a problem connecting to a computer. So what happens is I right click and select full control, then a window pops up saying "connecting to ..." with the binary earth map thing. Then several minutes go by and I am still waiting. If I go back to the main viewer window that shows all the PCs I can connect to, I see that there is a thumbnail image of the computer showing the desktop I'm trying to connect to and it says "logged on". However I still am waiting at that connection screen. Closing and retrying it doesn't help. My viewer is 7.0.2.0 and the host is on the latest as I have just updated it. What could be the cause? Many computers in this building that are using the same network I have no issues connecting to.
dbartos, User (Posts: 5)
Aug 05, 2021 3:17:22 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Nevermind, apparently the laptop was on but the lid was closed. I don't know how or why that would affect anything but when the lid was opened I was able to log in and actually control the computer. I'm assuming the other computers this happens to are in a similar state.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Aug 05, 2021 4:03:02 pm EDT
Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Yes, such issues with the remote screen might be caused by the laptop lid being closed or by the screensaver with a black screen being active on the remote machine.
Please try enabling the Use legacy capture mode feature in the Host Settings -> Other tab. After enabling the feature please also make sure to restart Host in order for the changes to be applied. This way you should be able to see the remote screen in your Viewer even when the laptop lid is closed.
You can also edit the Host Settings remotely via the Remote Settings feature.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)