Community

Can't uninstall Beta 6.12

Links used in this discussion
Brian Brian, User (Posts: 5)
Oct 13, 2021 1:48:58 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Hello.  I have the Beta 6.12 Viewer on my desktop.  I see that there is a higher version available (V7), but I have been unsuccessful in applying the new version.

The problem is:  When I start the V7 installation process, it tries to uninstall the old version.  The MSI file for the uninstall cannot be found, so the installation aborts.  There's no way to get around this step so I'm stuck without upgrading.

I did some digging and unfortunately the 6.12 MSI file was flagged as Malware by AVG, so it has disappeared into quarantine.  I'm afraid to replace it because it may actually be infected with malware.  So now I'm eternally stuck.

Is there any way for me to delete the old version manually?  I tried to do this from Add or Remove programs, and of course this methodology requires the old MSI as well.

Any suggestions appreciated.  All I want to do is apply the new viewer to my machine ...

Thanks in advance.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Oct 13, 2021 2:20:25 pm EDT
Hello Brian,

Thank you for your message.

Please try using this Microsoft tool that helps to automatically fix issues when you cannot update/install or fully uninstall software. You simply need to download the tool, run it and then follow the provided instructions.

Alternatively, if your Viewer was installed via the vanilla installer downloaded from our website, then it might have been a false positive detection which sometimes occur - you can try submitting a False Positive report to AVG, then add the Viewer installation folder to the antivirus exception list as described in this guide and remove the *msi file from quarantine. Here's also a full uninstallation guide that might be helpful if you want to install version 7 from scratch.

Please let us know if you have more questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)