Community

View log of visitors to Host

Links used in this discussion
Mitchell Collier, User (Posts: 2)
Nov 11, 2021 6:32:51 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
For user on whose computer a Remote Utilities Host is running, how does the user see a log of activity for the host? I found the log that just shows the date and time that the host was turned on. Thanks
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Nov 12, 2021 7:52:38 am EST
Hi Mitchell,

Thank you for your message.

The only log on the Host side is this one https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/docs/host-log/

Hope that helps.
Mitchell Collier, User (Posts: 2)
Nov 12, 2021 8:45:53 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
@Conrad Thank you for your response. Those host-side logs are the ones that I had found. So what does it mean if there are multiple events per month with: Remote Utilities - Host 69110 is started. This is on a computer previously owned by an older relative who I believe was scammed into a fake Norton support call. We do not knowingly use Remote Utilities.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Nov 12, 2021 4:03:13 pm EST
Hello Mitchell,

Thank you for the clarification.

So what does it mean if there are multiple events per month with: Remote Utilities - Host 69110 is started.

This entry simply means that the Host service was started - by default Hosts automatically starts along with the system. The "69110" number points to the Host version - in this case, it's version 6.10.10.0.
You can check if the log file contains any entries about remote sessions - if someone has connected to this remote machine and when. Such entries can be identified by their name, for example, Remote screen connection. Started.
In the Host log you can also find what Internet-iD code was used and what connection modes were used.

In case if someone got unauthorized access to this computer you should contact your nearest police department and let them know about the case so that they could investigate this further. We can provide our server logs (information that contains the originating IP address which is stored on our servers). However, please note that the  server logs can be only provided if there's a direct request from the police. Here is an excerpt from our Privacy Policy:

Government and law enforcement agencies

We may also share information to (i) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process, or governmental request; (ii) enforce this Privacy Policy and our Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations hereof; (iii) detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security, or technical issues; (iv) respond to your requests; or (v) protect our rights, property or safety, our users and the public. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection and spam/malware prevention.

This is strictly within the law and international treaties and also conforms to our Privacy Policy. Please feel free to provide our contact information privacy@remoteutilities.com to the police - we will gladly provide our assistance to the investigation.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)