Community

allow agent to run at same time at host

Links used in this discussion
asdffdsa, User (Posts: 41)
Nov 12, 2021 10:49:51 am EST
Support level: Starter
i had a machine that the host stopped working on.
i tried to run the end user run agent on the machine, so i could try and fix the the host.
but that is not allowed.
so i have to use  [censored] to get into that machine and fix host.

really, not a ideal solution.

please allow agent to run at the same time has the host.
Nov 12, 2021 11:42:51 am EST
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2832)
Nov 12, 2021 1:47:18 pm EST
Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately, running Host and Agent at the same time is not currently supported by Remote Utilities. However, I'll forward your request to our development department for a review to see if it's possible to implement this at some point in the future. Sorry if this makes our software less useful for you.

i found this post, but not sure what it means?

The feature mentioned in the referred post is already in our wishlist and, once implemented, it will allow users to convert a running Agent to Host, i.e. the Host will be installed automatically with all Agent's settings imported to the new Host installation.

Hope that helps.
Nov 12, 2021 2:07:51 pm EST
thanks but not sure it helps.

let's say i have a machine, that is used by an employee.
that employee is NOT allowed to have the administrator password for that machine.

how many i to install the host?
Edited:asdffdsa - Nov 12, 2021 2:08:18 pm EST
Nov 12, 2021 3:55:18 pm EST
Hello,

let's say i have a machine, that is used by an employee.
that employee is NOT allowed to have the administrator password for that machine.

As soon as we implement the feature that allows converting Agent to a Host installation, it will be possible to do directly within the remote session. Unfortunately, we cannot provide any specific ETA on this feature.

Meanwhile, you can restart Agent with elevated (admin) privileges by using the Restart Agent as... feature that allows you to control the UAC prompts on the remote machine when you perform actions that require administrative access (for example, installing software). In case if you want to install Host you can also configure a custom MSI installation package or a One-Click installer and enable the Send Internet-ID to email feature that sends an email with the Host's access credentials to a specified email address upon the installation.
Alternatively, if you want to install Host on a domain or across your Windows network, you can also push-install Host using GPO or use the Remote Install Tool.

Hope that helps.
Nov 12, 2021 4:08:42 pm EST
thank much for the help!

not sure i understand?

am i able to do this, i thought in the past i tried this and it failed.
1. run agent
2. Restart Agent as
3. install the host
Nov 15, 2021 12:15:06 pm EST
Hello,

Thank you for your patience.

Yes, this should be possible - in fact, I've just tested this scenario out just to make sure. However, there are a few important details to note:
1. When installing Host remotely while connected to the remote machine via Agent, the Agent window will stay opened till one of the last steps of the installation process, then it will automatically get closed, so your current connection will be interrupted.
2. At the installation step when the connection interrupts, a remote machine gets a prompt requesting to set up an access password. Since you won't be connected at this point, we recommend that you prepare a One-Click installation package and install Host using it instead of vanilla installer.
3. When configuring a One-Click package please make sure to enable the Send Internet-ID to email feature and set up the SMTP server along with the following checkboxes:
- Automatically generate Host password
- When updating existing Hosts, overwrite their Internet-ID code with the generated code
These features will ensure that you receive an automated email with your Host's access credentials, so that when your connection via Agent is interrupted, but Host is installed and starts running, you can connect to it right away using the credentials.
4. Last but not least, in case if you had any previous Host installations on this remote machine, please make sure to remote the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Usoris\Remote Utilities Host\. This will remove any traces of the previously existing installations' settings, so that the password is generated during the installation process.
5. Here's a guide on how to add the remote Host to your address book using the encrypted code you receive via email.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)