Community

Viewer 7.1.1.0 logs into wrong connection

Links used in this discussion
Greg Sullivan, User (Posts: 12)
Jan 08, 2022 12:35:02 pm EST
Support level: Starter
Just upgraded to windows Viewer and Host v7.1.1.0 fr om v6 and I've bumped into a quirk, seems readily reproducible.  There appears to be an issue with the logon mechanism wh ere extra connections are performed.

In the viewer, I have an address book folder with 5 connections (2 of which are online, 3 are offline).

If I sel ect the online connection #1 and right-click and choose "Log on", online connection #2 (!) shows "Logging on...".  Once #2 has become logged in, #1 shows "Logging on".

If I double-click on connection #1 (default action is view only), the same behavior occurs (connection #2 logs in, followed by the #1), except that only connection #1 opens up in the desktop Viewer (as expected).

If both connections are logged in, Logging off fr om #1 behaves as expected: only connection #1 is logged off.

If I attempt to log into the 2nd connection, only the 2nd connection logs in (as expected).

It's a minor issue, but slightly annoying.  Causes some extra/unnecessary connection activity.

Greg
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Jan 10, 2022 8:05:01 am EST
Hello Greg,

Thank you for your message.

Do both connections point to the same remote computer (e.g. one by Internet-ID and the other by an IP address)? Or are those completely different remote Hosts?
Jan 11, 2022 10:49:45 am EST
Hi Conrad,

Sorry I left out that detail.

No, the connections point to two different host machines with unique Internet-ID's.  The two connections are physically located at the same remote location and on the same local network as each other.  (i.e. they are at the same relative internet facing IP address relative to the RU ID Servers)

I'm connecting from a separate remote location from the two connections in question.

- Greg
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Jan 11, 2022 3:19:07 pm EST
Hello Greg,

Thank you for the clarification.

Perhaps, the issue might be caused by the address book file being somehow damaged or corrupted. Could you please try downloading Portable Viewer or using Viewer on some other machine and try adding these two remote connections to see if the issue occurs this way as well? You can also try adding a new address book to the same Viewer as described here and creating connection entries for the same remote Hosts to see if the issue re-occurs.

Looking forward to your reply.
Jan 11, 2022 7:12:10 pm EST
Hi Pauline,

Looks like your address book corruption guess was on the mark.

I exported the address book and imported it into a portable viewer running on a different system.  From this set up, clicking "Logon" for connection #1 did nothing: no logon attempt at all,  for connection #1 or connection #2.

Connection #2 works as expected.  But Connection #1 can't be launched at all.

After clearing the address book and creating new connections #1 and #2, everything works as expected.

The "corrupted" address book was from the previous RU 6.10.10 install (which functioned as expected)

Greg
Jan 12, 2022 9:12:53 am EST
Hello Greg,

I'm glad to hear we were able to help and it works for you now!

Please feel free to let us know if you have more questions or need our assistance.
Douglas Crawford, User (Posts: 75)
Jan 13, 2022 12:57:34 am EST
Doesn't this point to an issue of the inability for the current version to convert an old address book into
its new format?  Or is it assumed users will recreate their address books?
Jan 13, 2022 4:11:46 pm EST
Hello Douglas,

Thank you for your message.

In this case the issue have been caused by the address book file being somehow corrupted (most probably by some firewall/antivirus software) which is a relatively rare issue. There was no other reports from other users that updating to the latest version had damaged their address book files, so this is rather a one-time thing issue that is unlikely to occur for other users when updating Remote Utilities.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)