Community

[ Closed ] [Resolved] Suddenly unable to run Viewer

Links used in this discussion
Pete Andrews, User (Posts: 3)
Feb 23, 2023 8:15:27 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
Viewer 7.1.7.0, Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2, OS Build 22621.1265
Has been working fine since i've had it but today i cannot even run the Viewer program.  When i double click on the icon the spinning icon appears breifly and then disappears. Have checked in Task Manager and it's not in there.  Downloaded and ran the Host program to see if i could logon from my other pc but the options screen won't open for me to put a password in.  Have also unistalled and re-installed.
Any ideas please?
Feb 23, 2023 10:18:12 am EST
Forgot to add that i have started Windows 11 in Safe Mode with networking and the program still won't run.
Also, I removed the folder in "appdata\roaming" etc but when i re-install RemoteUtilities it doesn't put the folder back.
Edited:Pete Andrews - Feb 23, 2023 11:21:33 am EST
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Feb 27, 2023 3:05:39 pm EST
Hello Pete,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please try fully uninstalling Viewer following this guide and then re-installing it from scratch? Full uninstallation cleans up all remaining traces of the software, so if there's a damaged/corrupted file that might be causing the issue, this should help to fix it.
In addition, please also make to add Viewer installation folder to the exclusion list of any antivirus software you might have as described here since the issue might be caused by a/v software mistakenly blocking/removing Remote Utilities from your computer.

Let us know if this helps or if the issue persists.
Feb 28, 2023 5:33:24 am EST
Hi Pauline, Unfortunately i did try the steps you've recommended but no luck.  I did notice that when i tried to reinstall it the installation wasn't registering into the registry if that makes sense to you.  I believe Windows 11 had somehow got corrupted and tried all the SFC/ scannow and DISM commands but nothing worked so i totally wiped the PC and reinstalled Windows 11 and now RemoteUtilities works fine again.  Thanks for your help,
Pete
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Feb 28, 2023 10:17:46 am EST
Hello Pete,

I'm glad to hear you've figured out the issue and it works for you now!

Feel free to let us know if you have more questions or need our assistance. We're always happy to help.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)