Community

You must apply the code on the same Viewer where you customized the Host or Agent.

Links used in this discussion
Matt Swengler, User (Posts: 3)
Mar 23, 2017 6:08:42 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Is there a way around this?  I have a laptop and desktop.  I customized the agent on my laptop but now cannot connect using my desktop.  With the free key am I just limited to one Viewer PC?

I have several small clients I am testing this out on before I buy anything.  I need to also be able to connect to several different PC's from different organisations in one viewer hopefully.  Using different paid and free keys.
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2991)
Mar 24, 2017 3:42:27 am EDT
Hello Matt,

Thank you for your post.

Is there a way around this? I have a laptop and desktop. I customized the agent on my laptop but now cannot connect using my desktop. With the free key am I just limited to one Viewer PC?

You just need to copy the private key file to the other Viewer's directory as described here https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/docs/the-code-you-entered-is-incorrect-error/

That, of course, needs to be done only if you enable the "Generate password automatically" during MSI Configuration and therefore have your connection credentials emailed to you in an encrypted message. If you don't  use that feature, you can use the Viewer on another machine right away without copying anything - except perhaps your address book if this is how you choose to share it between machines (there are different ways).

With the free key am I just limited to one Viewer PC?

License type has nothing to do with this. The free license allows you absolutely everything that a paid license does, except only that with the free license you are limited to 10 PCs (records) in your address book.

Hope that helps.
psytropic, User (Posts: 3)
Mar 24, 2017 5:17:57 am EDT
Thank you for the reply.  I feel stupid going through the documentation and not seeing that.
Mar 24, 2017 5:54:24 am EDT
No problem :) Don't hesitate to ask if you have other questions.
psytropic, User (Posts: 3)
Mar 24, 2017 6:26:06 am EDT
The only other question I have is the different companies and how that would work.  I read the spoke and wheel blog mentioned in the links you shared. If I support multiple companies, I should just get a mini per operator license.  Multiple viewers OR multiple licensing (2 free, 1 paid) does not seem to be supported.  Would be a nice feature :)  As a consultant I come in to places that already have something like this and seems I would have to juggle around to use their address book and key.
Benny Tucker, User (Posts: 32)
Mar 24, 2017 11:43:28 am EDT
None of the hosts require a "Key". Only the viewer. Any number of licensed viewers can connect to any host. You can use the same license key for all of your viewer machines. You are only limited to how many addresses you can have in your address book, by the type of license. Free = 10, Mini = 50, Per-Operator = Unlimited.
Hope that helps..
Mar 24, 2017 11:57:12 am EDT
Hello

The only other question I have is the different companies and how that would work. I read the spoke and wheel blog mentioned in the links you shared. If I support multiple companies, I should just get a mini per operator license. Multiple viewers OR multiple licensing (2 free, 1 paid) does not seem to be supported. Would be a nice feature :)

Why, you can work from multiple Viewers. For example, if you have an operator license (standard or mini, regardless) you can install your license on as many Viewers as you need , provided that the number of Viewers you work from at a time does not exceed the # of licenses purchased. The simplest example is when you purchase a 1-operator license. It means that you can work from one Viewer workstation at a time, but you are not restricted to how many total workstations you can install (and use) the Viewer on.

As a consultant I come in to places that already have something like this and seems I would have to juggle around to use their address book and key.

Until we create a web client and web address book, you can use the portable Viewer. To add protection you can also encrypt your address books as described in this recent blog post https://www.remoteutilities.com/about/blog/Remote_Utilities/local-address-book-encryption/ . So even if you accidentally lose or forget your USB stick with Viewer somewhere your access data will be safe.

None of the hosts require a "Key". Only the viewer. Any number of licensed viewers can connect to any host. You can use the same license key for all of your viewer machines. You are only limited to how many addresses you can have in your address book, by the type of license. Free = 10, Mini = 50, Per-Operator = Unlimited.

Yes, this is correct. Thank you, Benny.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)