Community

RU Server security

Links used in this discussion
Tim Svensson, User (Posts: 2)
May 15, 2018 9:30:18 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Hello! Once setup can anyone who knows the ip/dns name of the ru server connect to it with a host/agent?
Edited:Tim Svensson - May 15, 2018 9:30:49 am EDT
Michael Wigle, User (Posts: 12)
May 15, 2018 9:45:53 am EDT
A person could choose to install a host on a PC and provide the IP/DNS name of your RU server (if it's externally facing) and that would make their system available to your viewer if you know their IID but I can't think of a reason someone would do that... It wouldn't necessarily give you access to their system even depending on how they configured the security on the host installation. The RU server just acts as an intermediary to connect host to viewer and/or as IID address book.
Tim Svensson, User (Posts: 2)
May 15, 2018 10:26:03 am EDT
Thanks Michael for your reply, I don't know either why someone would do that, but before I configure any hosts I would like to know if there was any settings to authenticate only "approved" hosts to connect to the server. But if there is not, then I dont have to care about it.
Cristian Braun, User (Posts: 32)
May 15, 2018 10:54:52 am EDT
You can set a password only for Internet ID settings, maybe that can be useful to you
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
May 15, 2018 5:13:35 pm EDT
Hello Tim,

Indeed currently one can connect through your server if they know IP/DNS and port number. However, at some point in the future we are going implement some sort of authentication. Not to be confused with authentication already in place called custom server security - that one is used for a different purpose.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)