Community

network discovery form viewer to host

Links used in this discussion
James T, User (Posts: 4)
Jun 24, 2021 7:05:13 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Is there a means to enable network discovery such that the viewer can see shared computers on the network that the host resides on?

I do have access to network drives that have been mapped on the host network, but not visibility using Explorer on the viewer..
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2836)
Jun 25, 2021 9:32:42 am EDT
Hello James,

Thank you for your message.

In this case please consider using the Scan for RU hosts feature that allows to scan an IP address range or even a single IP address to detect any Hosts installed in the network.

In case if you mean that these computers do not have Host installed on them, please try connecting to your Host via the File Transfer mode and see if you can access the mapped drives this way. In case if they're not displayed this way as well, please try referring to this troubleshooting guide.

Hope that helps.
James T, User (Posts: 4)
Jun 25, 2021 8:06:54 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
This does not answer my question. I want to be able to detect devices and computers that are shared on the host that I'm connecting to. (Without having to sinstall RU host on them)
so I want to connect to one RU host and then be able to see all the available network devices to it, say for instance printers.
I want Windows Explorer on the viewer to be able to see devices that are available to the host. ( [censored] does this by opening a VPN connection)
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2836)
Jun 28, 2021 9:33:55 am EDT
Hello James,

Thank you for the clarification.

Unfortunately, Remote Utilities does not provide this feature - in order to connect to other remote machines via Remote Utilities, the remote machine needs to have Host or Agent module installed. Sorry if this makes our software less useful for you.

Please let us know if you have other questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)