Community

Remote connect to work laptop

Links used in this discussion
Paul, User (Posts: 2)
Aug 22, 2021 3:09:57 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
I am trying to find out if a Remote Utilities product will do this. I want to remote connect to my work laptop from my home computer when both devices are connected to my home network. I want to do this so that I can work on my work laptop at home using the dual monitors, the keyboard and mouse that are hooked up to my home PC.

The work laptop is secured by my employer that prevents me from installing any software on it, edit its registry, or modify most of the Windows settings. I am guessing that may be why the Windows remote desktop connect fails when I try to remote connect to the work laptop from my home PC with both devices connected to my home network.

Does this software have a solution for this task? I am looking for a free version.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Aug 23, 2021 9:10:21 am EDT
Hello Paul,

Thank you for your message.

In this scenario you can try using Agent module instead of Host - Agent can be run by a standard Windows user (i.e. without elevated privileges). Agent does not require installation or admin privileges to run - the remote session is active for as long as Agent is running. For more information please also see this guide on connecting to a remote machine using Agent.

Please let us know if you have other questions.
Paul, User (Posts: 2)
Aug 27, 2021 7:02:20 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
When I run the Agent on my work laptop, the alert pops up that Windows Defender Firewall has blocked some features. It also says that the network administrator can unblock it. But, that is not an option. How to proceed?
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Aug 30, 2021 5:03:49 pm EDT
Hello Paul,

Thank you for your message.

Please try selecting Cancel in the Windows Defender Firewall window - this will run Agent as a normal user (i.e. under the current Windows user without admin rights). Such UAC/firewall prompts are expected behavior when running Agent since some operations might require elevated privileges, so in this case you're able to choose if you want to run Agent with admin rights or no - when selecting "Cancel" on the prompt window you're just denying Agent from running with admin privileges, not from running at all.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)