Community

Fallback port on Host or Agent with RU server

Links used in this discussion
Ivan Kocian, User (Posts: 4)
Aug 25, 2021 10:23:47 am EDT
Support level: Starter
Hello,
is there a way to create MSI Agent/Host package with configured fallback port (e.g. 443)? The RU server can listen on multiple ports (5655, 443, etc.), but not the agent/host. This feature could be handy, when network connection on Agent side is blocking every outgoing port except 80/443. This is working on, if connection to public server is used, but it is not working when using RU server.
Thank you.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Aug 25, 2021 2:02:55 pm EDT
Hello Ivan,

Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately, there is no fallback port functionality for Host/Agent in Remote Utilities when used with a self-hosted RU Server, since it's possible to set up a custom port value. In such cases we recommend setting up the value of the port that is opened and available right away, i.e. within the configuration process - this can be done on Step 4: Settings update by selecting the General and network settings checkbox under the Pre-configure radiobutton. In the invoked Host/Agent Settings window navigate to the Dashboard tab and set up the custom port in the Internet-ID Connection Settings. Sorry if this makes our software less useful for you.

Please let us know if you have other questions.
Aug 25, 2021 2:26:55 pm EDT
Hello Polina,
thank you for you answer. I think this could really be a handy feature not only for port. It make sense for me to have a fallback server as well. If there are connection issue on your primary RU site, you can almost continuously work fr om the fallback site.  Do you have any feature request list, wh ere it could be added ?
Aug 25, 2021 5:02:04 pm EDT
Hello Ivan,

Thank you for your suggestion.

I will forward your feature request regarding the fallback port to our development department for a review to see if we can add it to our wishlist and implement in the future updates for Remote Utilities.

As for the fallback server - unfortunately, we do not plan to implement such functionality for now. The reason is that the effort and complexity of implementing such feature (the more complex a feature is the more likely it might fail) far exceeds potential gains. RU server is meant to be used under direct command of the user, so in case if the Server doesn't respond the user can simply restart it - whether it's the machine itself or the RU Server service and it'll be back up and running in a couple of minutes.

Please let us know if you have more questions.
Aug 26, 2021 3:44:32 am EDT
Hello Polina,
please, let me know the opinion regarding the fallback port from your development team.
Regarding the fallback server - I understand your point of view. Maybe it is not so complex change if there will be list of servers(not only one), which you can set during MSI Agent creation process and the user can choose from that list manually without accessing the Agent settings if they are password protected.
Aug 26, 2021 12:26:04 pm EDT
Hello Ivan,

Of course, I'll keep you updated on this feature request and will let you know whether the feature is approved or not.

Please let us know if you have other questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)