New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Some viewers see some connections on-line others off-line.

Links used in this discussion
Douglas Crawford, User (Posts: 75)
Dec 08, 2021 10:19:30 pm EST
Support level: Starter
Well there's a problem- I'd like to be able to try the legacy mode on the File Server, but since neither monitor
station can connect to it w/ full control, I can't get there from here.

Since I can get to #1 and #3, I can try to put a viewer on those and see if I can get to the File Server through them.
See how odd this is?
Dec 08, 2021 10:47:04 pm EST
Correction:

Unlike Monitor 2, Monitor 1, which is on the local network,  sees #2 online and can connect to it with full control.
Dec 08, 2021 10:53:17 pm EST
I put Viwer on #1 and it sees the File Server as On Line and is able to connect with full control.
So, on the far side of the switch, file server is connectable.  outside the switch it is not.
But outside the swtich #1 and #3 are online and connectable under full control.
What's the difference with File Server and #2 vs #1 and #3???
Dec 09, 2021 12:13:20 am EST
*** NEW ISSUE IDENTIFIED ****
I see a definite issue: I have 2 connections defined with two different Internet IDs and when I open
them they go to the same computer. I think I'll need to share IDs with you. But here's the fact:
On Monitor 1.. the File Server connection is set to ID ending in 173, and Playout #1 is set to ID ending in 406.
These connections match the IDs assigned to the hosts.
When I open these, they both open host  ID ending in 406.  I have the #2 desktop in both open tabs.
Seems something has gone wrong in your ID server.
You can tell these two different connections went to the same computer because I have the same
document showing in both tabs which is fr om the #2 computer.
Wh ere is this problem, in the ID server?
Attached Files
Some viewers see some connections on-line others off-line. Some viewers see some connections on-line others off-line.
Dec 09, 2021 12:13:31 am EST
*** NOTE ***
I HAVE RESOLVED THE ISSUE OF SOME HOSTS APPEARING OFFLINE TO SOME VIEWERS AND ONLINE TO OTHERS.
These were ID assignment errors on my part.
Dec 09, 2021 12:15:51 am EST
I would have to theorize that the inabililty to connect to a host even though it shows on line could also be a
problem in the ID server now that I have caught it allowing the wrong host to open.
Dec 09, 2021 12:17:04 am EST
I have been able to change the mode of the FIle Server to legacy, but it does not help my Monitor 2 station to connect to it.  So again, maybe its an ID server problem....
Dec 09, 2021 12:18:25 am EST
FYI: The host called Gus Transcode is what I have been referring to as Monitor 1.
Dec 09, 2021 1:05:34 am EST
So to recap where I'm at:
Monitor 1 (Gus Transcode) can now open #1, #2, & #3 just fine. The problem opening #2 was ID reference error.
However, opening File Server actually opens #2 instead, though the IDs are correct in the connection and in thi hosts. Monitor 2 can now see all four of the hosts in question and can open fully #1,2, &3, (issue with #2 offline was an ID error) but connection to File Server never completes.  I triple checked the IDs in the connection definition and the File Server Host.
The mouse pointer is a small box.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Dec 09, 2021 1:49:43 pm EST
Hello Douglas,

I'm glad to hear you were able to figure out the issue and it works for you now.

I'd like to be able to try the legacy mode on the File Server, but since neither monitor
station can connect to it w/ full control, I can't get there from here.

Please note that it's possible to change the Host Settings remotely, given that you can logon to the remote Host. This can be done using the Remote Settings feature - in this case the remote Host restarts automatically after you're done customizing the settings, so that the changes are applied automatically as well, you only need to wait until it starts back, so that you're able to reconnect to the Host again.

The mouse pointer is a small box.

Please try setting the Local mouse pointer setting in the Connection Properties window -> Cursor tab to either Set remote cursor shape to local cursor or Use standard cursor shape options and see if this helps to resolve the issue.

However, opening File Server actually opens #2 instead, though the IDs are correct in the connection and in thi hosts. Monitor 2 can now see all four of the hosts in question and can open fully #1,2, &3, (issue with #2 offline was an ID error) but connection to File Server never completes.

It seems like there might be an issue with your Viewer installation caused by the address book file and/or the Viewer's configuration file in the Viewer installation folder being somehow damaged or corrupted.
Please try uninstalling this Viewer completely and cleaning up the traces of the installation as described in this complete uninstallation tutorial. After uninstallation is completed please try restarting the Viewer machine and then installing Viewer from scratch to see if the same issues re-occur on the clean installation as well.
In addition, in case if you have any antivirus/firewall or other security software installed on your Viewer machine, please also add the Viewer installation folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Remote Utilities - Viewer\* to the exception list as described here.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)