Community

Some viewers see some connections on-line others off-line.

Links used in this discussion
Douglas Crawford, User (Posts: 75)
Dec 09, 2021 5:39:02 pm EST
Support level: Starter
Wow that's a lot of great information.  
- Remote Settings... how cool, I learned something there. I'll keep that feature handy.
- corrupted installation - yes could be- I'll  try it.
- local mouse pointer config - I would not have thought it was config related as all the
machines are configure the same in this respect but behave differently, but I'll check.
Perhaps the difference is due to a corruption also.

Give me a bit to work that through.
I will post about the experience soon.

ONE QUESTION- ARE YOU SEEING ANY DIFFERENCE IN PERFORMANCE WHEN INSTALLS ARE DONE
with "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR" AND / OR THE PROGRAM IS RUN WITH "ADMINISTRATOR MODE"
SET IN ITS PROPERTIES ?  It seems Windows 10, even if you have an admin type account, has something
different from Windows 7 in perhaps it still limits some privileges of admin accounts requiring the addition
of "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR" in the actions.  Do you agree?  I ask in case something like this could be contributing to corruption or different behavior in these cases.
Edited:Douglas Crawford - Dec 09, 2021 6:36:15 pm EST
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Dec 10, 2021 1:39:24 pm EST
Hello Douglas,

Of course, feel free to upd ate us on the issue.

ARE YOU SEEING ANY DIFFERENCE IN PERFORMANCE WHEN INSTALLS ARE DONE
with "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR" AND / OR THE PROGRAM IS RUN WITH "ADMINISTRATOR MODE"
SE T IN ITS PROPERTIES ?

We haven't seen any difference in the connection performance in such cases, especially since elevated admin privileges are required for Host or Viewer installation. In fact, there's no difference in performance even when using Agent as a non-admin user vs. running it as admin.
Please also note that some operations require a user to have admin rights, for example, using the MSI Configurator Tool in Viewer.

Hope that helps.
Dec 17, 2021 6:09:17 pm EST
Hi - I wasn't clear on the "run as admin".  I was trying to ask about whether there were problems with the systems
operation if the software was not installed with "run as admin", I meant general operability, not the throughput
performance.  I have seen some applications that came around to insistting that one performs their install with "run as admin".  And possibly also modifying the run mode of the program to be "run as admin" .  I figured something is different with respect to privilege access of updaing system files and running tasks... but just a guess.
Dec 20, 2021 9:27:04 am EST
Hello Douglas,

Thank you for the clarification.

I was trying to ask about whether there were problems with the systems
operation if the software was not installed with "run as admin", I meant general operability, not the throughput
performance.

Thank you for sharing your input with us. There shouldn't be any difference when installing Remote Utilities using the "run as admin" feature or without it. We also haven't had any reports from other users regarding such scenarios. Even though installing Viewer and Host already requires user to have admin privileges (users without admin privileges can only run Agent), we'll still test it out in our environment and I will forward this to our developers as well to see if they can provide any input on this. I'll get back to you if there are any updates on this.

Please let us know if you have other questions.
Dec 24, 2021 5:09:38 pm EST
I think the mysteries of this exercise are solved.
Some stations saw hosts as offline because IDs were wrong.
Some stations could connect to hosts when some can't was because I would
move the cable of a shared monitor around (the intention was that the three playout stations would
be "headless) and so at different times when accessing at one station I could connect to a host.  Then
I'd move the monitor and later sit at another remote station and the host the I just accessed prior
from the other remote state would not connect to this station (because the monitor had moved and
connections were no longer accepted at the monitorless host).  
Now I know all hosts have to have monitors for the host to allow a connction.
Dec 27, 2021 12:51:48 pm EST
Hello Douglas,

Thank you for your message.

I'm glad to hear that you've figured out the issue!

Now I know all hosts have to have monitors for the host to allow a connction.

For headless machines please try enabling the Use legacy capture mode feature in the Host Settings -> Other mode - enabling this features usually helps to resolve similar issues related to screen capture or other performance issues when connecting to headless remote machines (i.e. having a monitor connected to a remote Host is not mandatory for the connection to work properly). After enabling the feature please make sure to restart Host in order for changes to be applied.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)