New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Message on the remote screen

Links used in this discussion
Olivier Meynard, User (Posts: 4)
Jan 05, 2022 2:09:21 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
Hello,

I test RemoteUtilities for a while, and I have 2 questions :

1 - Is it possible to remove the box message on the remote screen "Your computer has been connected in a remote session..." (see my screenshot below) ?

2 - If not, is it possible to translate this message in another language (my users are french... very french... and they don't understand this message) ?

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Best regards,
Olivier from France
Attached Files
Message on the remote screen
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Jan 05, 2022 6:31:08 pm EST
Hello Olivier,

1. This message is only shown for free license users and trial users.

2. It will be translated into other languages (20 languages) in the next update.
Christopher Throckmorton, User (Posts: 4)
Jan 22, 2022 11:00:17 am EST
@Olivier Meynard - thanks for your post as it's answered my question regarding the "Your computer has been connected..." message.

@Conrad Sallian - Absolutely NO disrespect intended, but I disagree with what Remote Utilities has done. Your post is of concern to me, but I appreciate the openness and honesty of your reply. I've "been" a very happy user of Remote Utilities for quite a long time now (Remote Utilities is a VERY GOOD product and tool) and have been using the free license, because I've only got 9 computers I'm needing to connect to. The message is really quite annoying and is something you've implemented, just in the last release of Remote Utilities. I need to ask you to have the powers that be "rethink" this for free license users, because what you're pretty much saying is I can have a free license if I'm using less then 10 computers, but that you're going to treat me as a trial user. Honestly, this is NO LONGER A FREE LICENSE then, is it? I respect whatever decision you make, so if the answer is "no" you won't reconsider this request, that's fine. I will then choose whether or not I will continue to use Remote Utilities moving forward. That means that if I do grow beyond the 10-computer limit for the free license, I may not be using your product any longer, so that upgrade path will no longer be possible. Please LMK, thanks!

Best regards,
Christopher
Edited:Christopher Throckmorton - Jan 22, 2022 11:09:41 am EST
Jan 24, 2022 8:06:34 am EST
Hello Christopher,

Honestly, this is NO LONGER A FREE LICENSE then, is it?

Who said that? You can still use the free license as before. The warning message was the necesary change to prevent the 'out-of-the-box' free-forever version from being abused by malware actors.
Jan 24, 2022 9:51:26 am EST
Hi Conrad,

Sure, I can use the free license (and I appreciate that you have this for up to 10 computers), but I can't use it as before and that's the problem, so to me, it's not free anymore. The message is very much in the way of working on the computer remotely. Here's some complaints from the user being remote controlled for my support of them.

- Although translucent, they find it VERY annoying and pretty much can't see what's behind the message. They continually have to move the Visual Studio window out of the way and can't use it full screen anymore.

- Even when I disconnect from them, the message STILL remains. They shut down RemoteUtilities and when they reopen it, the message just comes back.

The remote user that I am supporting with this doesn't want to use this anymore if they can't remove the message.

If you can have a way for the user being remote controlled to turn off the message, NOT ME (I get that you're trying to prevent bad people from doing bad things), this would work OK, though the computers I remote to that I do so without a user on the other end would still have this issue, but I can live with that, even though I feel the message is annoying as well.

So, just to add, I understand that you're trying to prevent abuse by malware actors, but in doing so, you're hurting those of us who aren't (and I think those of us who aren't are the majority). Please consider this. I appreciate it.

Best regards,
Christopher
Edited:Christopher Throckmorton - Jan 24, 2022 9:55:56 am EST
Jan 24, 2022 3:06:25 pm EST
Hi Christopher,

- Although translucent, they find it VERY annoying and pretty much can't see what's behind the message. They continually have to move the Visual Studio window out of the way and can't use it full screen anymore.

We have decided that in the next update we'll add an option to change the corner whether the message can be displayed. That all we can do to help.

- Even when I disconnect from them, the message STILL remains. They shut down RemoteUtilities and when they reopen it, the message just comes back.

Please, make sure that you updated to the most recent version (Viewer and Host) , which is 7.1.2 as of this writing.

So, just to add, I understand that you're trying to prevent abuse by malware actors, but in doing so, you're hurting those of us who aren't (and I think those of us who aren't are the majority). Please consider this. I appreciate it.

We will hurt users even more if we let antivirus software go berserk on us because of the lack of such alerts.
Jan 24, 2022 3:32:22 pm EST
Hi Conrad,

Conrad Sallian wrote:

Please, make sure that you updated to the most recent version (Viewer and Host) , which is 7.1.2 as of this writing.

Both the Viewer and the Host are at 7.1.2. Could this be a bug in that the message should only display when a remote connection is made? Are there some log files or something like that I can share with you? If the message were ONLY to display when the remote connection is made, that would help a lot.

Also, I appreciate your (and the other folks at Remote Utilities) willingness to work with me on this, so I can live with being able to at least change the corner where the message is displayed.

Best regards,
Christopher
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Jan 24, 2022 4:27:44 pm EST
Hello Christopher,

Could this be a bug in that the message should only display when a remote connection is made? Are there some log files or something like that I can share with you?

Could you please send us the most recent Host log file and the screenshot of the connection warning being displayed when there's no remote session running? In addition, please let us know what are the OSs running on both sides of the connection. You can send all the information to support@remoteutilities.com - we will try to reproduce the issue to see if we can implement a fix for it.

Looking forward to your reply.
glenn friedland, User (Posts: 1)
Jan 28, 2022 10:06:16 am EST
Rather than being forced to have it in one of the corners, can you make it so it can be dragged around the screen like one of your competitors. Also maybe a minimizing feature like  [censored] has.
Jan 28, 2022 11:08:42 am EST
@Pauline - Sorry I haven't gotten back to you yet. I've been tied up with too many other things going on all at once. Anyway, I worked with the user that I remote and the issue has NOT been able to be reproduced since the initial time that it occurred. Also, this ONLY happened on one of the 4 systems I connect to with this user. So, when I'm connected the user sees the message and when I disconnect, the message goes away. If it happens again and it's been days now that all is functioning the way it should, I will collect the Host log and send it into support. Thanks!

@glenn - Good suggestions. Thanks for your input on this.

@Conrad - Glenn's suggestion for being able to drag the message around the screen is "really" good, because you can more easily move the message this way, based on whatever you have going on at the time. I don't know if the minimizing feature will be something you guys will consider, due to what you're trying to accomplish, but maybe a way to make the message "smaller" in size, like half the width, or something like that?

Best regards,
Christopher

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)