New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

You computer has been connected in a remote session...

Links used in this discussion
David Barnes, User (Posts: 1)
Jan 02, 2022 1:48:24 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
#Fail
This is a go away and use something else..

The message is:
 1) too big
 2) not transparrent enough
 3) in the wrong place as it interferes with visability of ALL other system tray pop-ups, messages, menus and key areas of applications like Word and Excel.

My 80 year old father has been terribly distressed by this unwarrented update.
I've had to drive over 200 miles to console and re-assure him it's ok.
Ultimately I've had to remove the product as it confuses him and he cannot see the menus of system tray icon menus that he needs to access to.  The zoom bar in word and excel are totally hidden and you cannot effectively use the computer with the message there over the top of everything.!!

I have also had to remove it from my home PC under the TV and it blocks out a substantial portion of videos.

As I said #Fail!

Can anyone recomend alternative product. - I cannot use T.V. app as I use that commercially and need to keep these connections seperate.

Thanks in advance
:)
Edited:David Barnes - Jan 02, 2022 1:50:37 pm EST
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Jan 02, 2022 5:39:21 pm EST
Hello David,

1. It has a far fewer area than T.V.'s nagging "Buy me" windows that you can observe in their "free-for-personal-use-only" version.

2. It is opaque enough to be discernible by most of the remote users who need to be warned about a remote connection to their computer.

3. The message doesn't interfere with other apps and windows, it can be "clicked through".

Besides, the message is only visible if the connected Viewer is registered with a free license or is in the trial mode. We had to introduce this change - it was just too easy to abuse it with the "out-of-the-box" version, at no cost.

We understand your frustration. Perhaps, RU Free is not good enough for you. We kindly ask you not to discuss competitor programs on our forum - see our forum rules, p.4.

Thank you.
Jan 02, 2022 5:42:30 pm EST

Pepa Kokes wrote:

The message is not removed for my reverse (but still direct) connection, even though I am on 7.1.1.0. Doesn't bother me much AND I rather think that reverse connections should display the message (they are as easily exploitable as the Internet-ID-based connections), but it's clearly not true that "We have removed the notification for direct connections" - not for *all* direct connections you didn't.

Hi Pepa,

Strictly speaking, yes, a callback connection is also a direct connection. Yet, ever since Internet-ID was introduced the callback connectivity is very rarely used so when we say 'direct connection' we mean Viewer-to-Host direct connection only.

Thanks.
john Randal, User (Posts: 120)
Jan 04, 2022 5:11:30 pm EST
Ok I will give my 2 cents on this after I ask these questions.  

So If I buy the Mini License it will be good for

Number of endpoints - up to 50 endpoints per tech.
Number of concurrent techs - 1.
One-time purchase. Upgrade policy applies.

1) And this means,  I can connect to 50 PC's fr om my one tech?

2) Will the computers I am connecting too all so have to have a license or not?

3) What if I remove a computer from my license , does that mean I can only use it per (a computer) or any computers has long as it does not go above 50 and I can change those 50?

4) Will the connection logo on the computers I am connecting to show up or will I have a option to disable that like the old version wh ere it did not show up?

5) If a upgrade occurs 13 months later to say version 8.0 do I then have to pay to get the upgraded version?

6) If yes to question 5, then will you guys kill off the service like you’re doing to 6 forcing us to upgrade then?

7)    what if one tech connects from his desktop at the office and then later while home connects using his laptop, will he need two tech License's or not since he is using one connection at a time?
Edited:john Randal - Jan 04, 2022 5:45:36 pm EST
Jan 04, 2022 6:19:06 pm EST
Hi John,

1) Yes. Actually, from any Viewer computer registered with your key. Our license is floating meaning that the actual number of Viewer copies that you can register is unlimited, so long as you work from one Viewer at a time.

2) No. Only Viewer (the user/admin module) needs to be registered. Hosts/Agents do not require registration.

3) You can remove computers from your address book in Viewer and add new ones. Whether you uninstall its coutnerpart (Host) on the remote computer or not doesn't matter.

4) If you mean this message , it will not be visible if you are connecting from a Viewer registered with a commercial license.

5) Yes, at 50% of the price. This has been our standard upgrade policy for years.

6) We have never killed the service for paid users. Paid users of version 6 can use the product and service just as they did. The today's newsletter was about the free license users only.

7) You only need a 1-tech license in this case.

Let me now if you have any other questions.
john Randal, User (Posts: 120)
Jan 04, 2022 8:19:58 pm EST

Conrad Sallian wrote:

Hi John,

1) Yes. Actually, from any Viewer computer registered with your key. Our license is  floating  meaning that the actual number of Viewer copies that you can register is unlimited, so long as you work from one Viewer at a time.

2) No. Only Viewer (the user/admin module) needs to be registered. Hosts/Agents do not require registration.

3) You can remove computers from your address book in Viewer and add new ones. Whether you uninstall its coutnerpart (Host) on the remote computer or not doesn't matter.

4) If you mean this message , it will not be visible if you are connecting from a Viewer registered with a commercial license.

5) Yes, at 50% of the price. This has been our standard upgrade policy for years.

6) We have never killed the service for paid users. Paid users of version 6 can use the product and service just as they did. The today's newsletter was about the  free license users  only.

7) You only need a 1-tech license in this case.

Let me now if you have any other questions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok thank you for answering those questions, NOW I would like to add my Two (2) Cents of remarks.

I do believe that this is being done “The Message in the bottom right corner” to get Paid membership , no doubt about that. Because if it were not for that then you would require the message to be on all connections regardless like other company do like splashtop  [censored] and others but by allowing paid users to remove that, it would still conflict with policies of the anti-virus programs and so on. I certainly hope this helps the constant problems you have had with Malwarebytes and do know many company like Eset still want to remove your program to this day.

BUT on the other hand,  

I do believe in supporting the companies that make the programs we like to use and understand that if we don’t then they will eventually go out of business soon. I do hope you keep your pricing at good level and don’t do what  [censored] did and now back pedaling to get customer back because their rates are so high many left them. I do appreciate you allowing the logo on paid account to be removed since many like the company I work for don’t want workers to know every time IT needs to do something since they OWN all the equipment they have the right to look and control it.

With that said Im sure I will be purchasing a license after I submit the request,

Are you offering any Seasonal discounts like others do this time of the year like the Christmas and new year discount and if so how do we get it?
Jan 05, 2022 7:36:03 pm EST
Hi John,

Thank you for your honest remarks.

I do believe that this is being done “The Message in the bottom right corner” to get Paid membership , no doubt about that.

Sorry, that's not true. Converting free license users to paid users wouldn't have much impact on our earnings (otherwise we wouldn't offer a free license at all, or would severely restrict it in features).

We implemented this alert message because there was no obstacle whatsoever for malware actors to use the product for their nefarious deeds. Now they at least must purchase a license - and a paid license is something that can easily be blocked. It's that simple.

Are you offering any Seasonal discounts like others do this time of the year like the Christmas and new year discount and if so how do we get it?

Feel free to contact our sales at sales@remoteutilities.com. I'm sure they'll come up with something.
Jan 05, 2022 7:40:50 pm EST

We implemented this alert message because there was no obstacle whatsoever for malware actors to use the product for their nefarious deeds.

I mean unaltered (out-of-the-box) product, of course. Because a modified/cracked product is a totally different thing, which can be recognized and eradicated even by the modern antivirus software programs (sarcasm).
johnran, User (Posts: 120)
Jan 06, 2022 10:33:01 am EST

Conrad Sallian wrote:

Feel free to contact our sales at sales@remoteutilities.com. I'm sure they'll come up with something.

Thank you I contacted them and will wait till they reply
Edited:johnran - Jan 06, 2022 10:34:49 am EST
Bob Smith, User (Posts: 9)
Jan 06, 2022 1:46:23 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
Just to clarify. The free licence gives you 10 "remote computers" in the address book and the paid Starter licence gives you 20 "Endpoints" per tech so are these terms interchangeable? Do you get 20 entries in the address book with the Starter licence or is there some other difference between "remote computer" and "endpoint"?

Also, I see you keep the servers going for previous paid versions so I'm just wondering how far back this goes? Does v5 or v4 etc. still work with your Internet ID servers?

Great software btw, with or without the watermark ;)

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)