New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Viewer Update problem

Links used in this discussion
Colin Faulkner, User (Posts: 14)
Jan 06, 2022 8:57:17 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
I understand the problem - that's why I always install apps using RevoUninstaller or similar.
I also use portable versions if/when they are available.
This helps stop your PC getting clogged up with app remains that aren't removed by 'standard' means.
As I only use Remote Utilities on my local intranet I won't be upgrading to v7 for a while - not until it's had a good shake down.
Hopefully Conrad or someone can help you get rid of your early versions for a re-install.....
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Jan 06, 2022 10:03:10 am EST
Hello,

To completely uninstall Viewer please follow this guide. Before you clean up the %APPDATA% folder though note that the connections_4.xml file is your general address book. You might want to back it up before proceeding.  

In addition, remove the folder C:\ProgramData\Remote Utilities . Note that the ProgramData folder is hidden - you must enable "Hidden files and folders" in Windows.

Viewer leaves no traces in Windows registry, so no need to clean it.

If all else fails use this secret weapon from Microsoft

Hope that helps.
Jan 06, 2022 10:05:08 am EST
By the way, as an emergency you can always use the portable Viewer. This Viewer is self-contained and will work regardless of whether there is a Viewer installation on that machine.
Werner Schoenthal, User (Posts: 16)
Jan 06, 2022 12:46:23 pm EST
Support level: Starter
Hello Conrad,

Thank you so much for your assistance, very helpful information and support.
The MicrosoftProgram_Install_and_Uninstall.meta.diagcab as you recommanded was uninstalling the previous version of the viewer.
After that I was able to successfully install the latest version of the Remote Utilities Viewer. (Version 7.1.1.0).
Problem solved in minutes with the little Microsoft Diagcab file. Great.
Now I'm going to buy a Remote Utilities license even if I currently use less the 10 hosts.
Best Regards,
Werner
Jan 06, 2022 1:16:07 pm EST
Hi Werner,

You are very welcome :) Thank you for your support.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)