New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

persistent connection alert window

Links used in this discussion
Christopher Knuth, User (Posts: 1)
Jan 13, 2022 9:29:22 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
The new "persistent connection alert window" in version 7 is a problem.

Is there any way to turn this windows off in the FREE version, or at least move or minimize it.  it is blocking access to the bottom right hand access buttons and I can see thru it to get the information I need?
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Jan 13, 2022 4:19:46 pm EST
Hello Christopher,

Thank you for your message.

The connection alert window cannot be disabled in the free or trial version of the program. Please note that the connection alert window is not displayed when you use Direct connection. Sorry if this makes our software less useful for you, we had to add this notification was added for security reasons.

Please let us know if you have other questions.
Dave Barton, User (Posts: 4)
Jan 14, 2022 8:54:16 am EST
That is a real shame. The security aspect of the alert windows is understandable, but it's position makes the free edition almost unusable. Surely it is not beyond the developers wit and competence to make the window position user selectable.
Christopher Knuth, User (Posts: 1)
Jan 14, 2022 9:14:13 am EST
I agree, I understand the need, but maybe made the box a bit smaller and moveable (not closeable or minimizable) so you can move it aside when you need access to the bottom left corner action buttons.
Jan 14, 2022 9:45:44 am EST
Yes, that is exactly the feature I and I suspect others, would like to have.
Do the "powers that be" at RemoteUtilities accept RFEs (Requests For Enhancements)?
Jan 14, 2022 1:14:49 pm EST
Hello Dave and Christopher,

Thank you for your feedback.

We understand everyone's frustration. However, we had to introduce such strict measures due to the antivirus software companies and spam-fighting organizations (e.g. Spamhaus) are getting increasingly intolerant of remote desktop software. Therefore, we want to make it more difficult to use the "out-of-the-box" software version and free license for illegal activity.
As for the "movable" banner - unfortunately, if legit users will be able to move it, the ones who use it for illegal activity will be able to move it as well. Please note that the banner/message is transparent and can be clicked through, i.e. it doesn't affect the ability to select menus, click buttons, etc., just like the Windows warning about activation.

Thank you for your understanding.
Jan 14, 2022 3:09:16 pm EST
Sorry to put it so bluntly, but as a recently retired professional programmer with 30+ years experience, the excuse being given is illogical. Having the alert window in a fixed position, or any other position within the visible window has ZERO impact (good or bad) on the software's security.
If your developers genuinely believe having this alert window in a fixed position within the visible window provides any trivial degree of security, I would strongly advise any of your current or potential paying business customers to seriously reconsider their choice.
I will now unsubscribe and move on to to an alternative service.
Jan 14, 2022 4:10:20 pm EST
Hello Dave,

We're sorry to see you go. Please note that the notification banner's purpose is to only increase the user's awareness that someone is connecting to their computer. The banner is also not displayed for Direct connections or for commercial license users.
You can also see other security enhancements we've implemented in the most recent updates on our Release Notes page.

Hope that helps.
Pepa Kokes, User (Posts: 32)
Jan 14, 2022 10:57:25 pm EST
Dave Barton: Note that the actual security is not an issue here. The "feature" (or "limitation" if you prefer) is designed to satisfy the requirements of antimalware software. It doesn't matter if these requirements are useful or pointless, smart or stupid - it the application wants to avoid being tagged as malware, it has to comply. Having fought with a similar issue with some of my applications, I can understand the developer's frustration about that, but there is really not much else that can be done - antimalware is in practice a law upon itself.

As far as adding the ability to move to the window - I don't think it's that simple. It seems that the notification window it is not actually a window, so any movement code would have to be implemented from scratch - and any such implementation would create conflicts with the intended "click through" functionality. Given the amount of negative backlash of the feature, I would recommend implementing an option to sel ect fr om a fixed set of possible positions (all four corners plus the center of the top and bottom of the screen), that seems reasonably simple while still achieving the desired effect.
Jan 15, 2022 4:51:19 am EST
I was not going to return to this matter, but I dislike anything I have published being left in a misinterpreted state.
Pepa Kokes,
Fine, if the alert window satisfies anti-malware so be it. This issue is not the existence or presence of the alert (semi-transparent) frame (previously described as a window for convenience).
The issue, at least for me, is the very poorly coded implementation. Having created similar frames in commercial software I have worked on in the past, I can categorically state that allowing the frame to be repositioned, say in the 6 point positions you suggest, would have no negative impact on the so called "click through" function. Of necessity software has to monitor any object (window, dialog, frame, etc.) it creates within the operating system's display canvas. The software with this single position frame is already being monitored and it's "Last Recorded" position is retained. Here is is a "quick and dirty" demonstration of this fact:
persistent connection alert window - 15 Jan 2022 04:50:48
The host is on a Win 10 laptop and the viewer is on a Win 10 desktop.
The laptop display was first rotated 270° and then back to normal.
The capture taken from the viewer shows the frame is no longer in it's original "Locked" position and the click through remains fully functional.
Attached Files
persistent connection alert window

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)