New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Upgrade host (eg, v6.10.10.0 - v7.1.2.0) free license keep internet ID

Links used in this discussion
john kumpf, User (Posts: 82)
Feb 02, 2022 1:04:40 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
I am upgrading hosts with a free license on Feb 2, 2022 due to the expiration of free license on v6. Thank you for the temporary license to fill the gap for the next 2 weeks.

So in upgrading my host, with local access. I ran host7.1.2.0.msi and it generated a new ID. Is there a way to keep both the ID and the password?

Or is there just the MSI configurator? Does that keep the ID *AND* the password?
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Feb 02, 2022 3:08:13 pm EST
Hello John,

Thank you for your message.

I'm glad to hear you were able to upgrade using our workaround.

Is there a way to keep both the ID and the password?

Yes, if you're upgrading your Host manually by running a vanilla Host installer downloaded from our website - this should keep all the previous setting intact and carry them over to the upgraded installation.
However, if you upgrade your Host using a custom installation package built via the MSI Configurator Tool, this will update the Host settings as well according to the ones that were specified during the configuration process. Especially, if the installation package had the Internet-ID related checkboxes enabled on Step 3 - Advanced options -> Internet-ID tab of the configuration.
So in case if you want to keep your current Host settings, such as Internet-ID code and password, you can:
1. Upgrade Host via the Simple Update method.
2. Upgrade manually via the vanilla Host installer.
3. Upgrade via the custom installation package that does not have Internet-ID or password related checkboxes enabled.

Hope that helps.
Feb 04, 2022 8:53:35 pm EST
This works for the .msi and the .exe? Eg, host7.1.2.0.msi and host7.1.2.0.exe?
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Feb 05, 2022 9:54:18 am EST

john kumpf wrote:

This works for the .msi and the .exe? Eg, host7.1.2.0.msi and host7.1.2.0.exe?

Hi John,

If you are going to use the Remote Install tool method, you should use the msi package.

Please, note that using a custom-built Host package is only necessary if you update the host version AND change some if its settings.

However, if you want to just update the Host version, use the Simple update feature. Remote Install method can also be used in which case you should feed the vanilla Host msi to the path field.

Hope that helps.
Feb 05, 2022 11:12:50 pm EST
Thanks for all the support.

Unfortunately, I am not clear. Can you spell it out for me?

It seems I have 5 options:

• Simple install (dl from website--.msi? or .exe? or I'll never know it's behind the scenes?).
  • remote upd ate vanilla .msi
  • remote upd ate MSI Configurator .msi
  • local install .msi
  • local install .exe

Are you saying that all of these will preserve the Internet ID and Password? (MSI Configurator if I don't click to se t (sic) set those.)

And the remote methods, they will or will not require a user to be present to click on something (Do I have to turn off UAC before hand?)

I used the .msi local install and it forced me (locally) to click Generate New ID. That v6 might have come from an agent before it. And it was a 9-digit, not a 12-digit ID.

I'm sure a lot of people are wondering the same thing.

I don't use Simple install. First of all, I can't tolerate changes in procedure (based on new features and new changes) that often. And upgrading just one host, means I have to upgrade the viewer (probably), which means i have to upgrade all past and current hosts (probably). So it sets off a chain reaction. And it's very time consuming, especially if something goes wrong. Also, it might come up at the start of a support call, wasting the remote person's time. So I have to be judicious with my upgrades.

So, I'm sure there's a lot of users in my situation: wanting an easy way to upgrade and keep all settings.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Feb 07, 2022 7:49:28 am EST
Hi John,

Actually, there are only three options:

1. Simple update. You don't have to download anything. "Simple update" is just a command sent from Viewer to the remote Host that tells the Host to update itself. Everything else is done behind the scenes. Host connects to our  update servers, downloads the package and updates itself.

2. Using the Remote Install tool. Feed the Host msi vanilla package to it, and select the Update option. The difference between this method and the Simple update method is that the update package is transferred from the Viewer computer to the Host computer and you need to make sure that this is indeed the latest Host package. That's why we always recommend the Simple update method because it guarantees that Host is updated to the latest version.

3. Manually by running the Host exe or msi vanilla package on the Host computer. This is self-explanatory.

Are you saying that all of these will preserve the Internet ID and Password? (MSI Configurator if I don't click to se t (sic) set those.)

Any method where the vanilla package is used preserves the Internet-ID and Password. In Simple update the vanilla package is used by default, you can't change it. And it's the most recent host version, so this is the preferred and the simplest way to update.

I don't use Simple install. First of all, I can't tolerate changes in procedure (based on new features and new changes) that often. And upgrading just one host, means I have to upgrade the viewer (probably), which means i have to upgrade all past and current hosts (probably).

Before you update any Hosts you first update the Viewer, regardless of the method you choose. This is the general rule. Besides, for Simple update to work Viewer must be the newer version in order to be able to recognize that Hosts are outdated and offer you an update.

In the update guide we showed the simplest way to quickly update your Viewer and remote Hosts and keep all your settings. You don't have to update all the Hosts at once, you can update them one by one or in small groups (the preferred way).

Hope that helps.
Feb 08, 2022 8:52:55 pm EST
Thanks. I tried host7.1.2.0.msi locally and it did NOT work. It was fr om 6.10.10.0 and I think it was agent before it was host. And it may have been an earlier v6 version before that, or even v5.

However I just tried remote install from the viewer with vanilla .msi installer wh ere the host was originally installed 6.10.10.0 to 7.1.2.0 and it worked without a hitch and kept both the Internet ID and the password.

so thanks for that!
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Feb 09, 2022 1:37:02 pm EST
Hello John,

I'm glad to hear you've figured out the issue and it worked for you!

And it may have been an earlier v6 version before that, or even v5.

In this case it might have occurred due to the fact that the Simple Update mechanism was improved a few times in the few last versions (starting version 6.10.8.0) along with a few issues in the mechanism fixed as well. The Remote Install Tool usually helped to resolve similar issues with the Simple Update.

Please let us know if you have other questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)