New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

BitDefender - problems with Host version 7.1.2.0

Links used in this discussion
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Feb 08, 2022 9:01:59 am EST
Hello,

The good news is that we received a message from BitDefender today where they say that RU has been whitelisted now.
Feb 08, 2022 9:15:49 am EST

Mark Brown wrote:

ESET's online cloud analysis also flags Remote Utilities 7.1.x.
I have to assume that a part of the installer or MSI scripts are also used by malicious software and is being flagged for similar installation behavior.

Hello Mark,

ESET is another story. It keeps classifying stand-alone, official digitally signed RU files as PUP. They fail to understand that it is not our job to prevent the software from being abused by another software/wrapper. This is what antivirus software should do. Yet, they - as many other a/v programs nowadays - just go the easy path and block everything thus throwing the baby out with bathwater.
snk-nick, User (Posts: 59)
Feb 08, 2022 6:55:30 pm EST
Glad I can finally update my clients... but I do hope you don't intend to change your software on their demands.

Announcing every time I connect to a machine with software I use to silently manage things in the background is not a feature I have any interest in. I don't have any issue with the system tray being forced to stay shown (and that changing colour does indeed inform of a connection) but I have zero desire to deal with a dozen calls of "why does it say my computer is being controlled?". Or worse, having users be desensitised to such messages and ignoring them even if some other software makes it way on to the systems.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Feb 09, 2022 12:09:11 pm EST
Hello snk-nick,

Thank you for your support!

but I do hope you don't intend to change your software on their demands.

Actually, we've just recently implemented a persistent notification banner for all free users using Internet-ID connection  as well as some other changes that were necessary in order to prevent the 'out-of-the-box' free-forever version from being abused by malware actors. We have also informed Bitdefender and other a/v vendors about these changes as soon as the false positive detections have appeared and despite that the latest version with enhanced security was being blocked until our users started submitting complaints to Bitdefender.
However, these changes do not affect our paid users, so the notification banner is not shown for commercial license users (although it can be enabled in the Host Settings, if necessary).

Please let us know if you have more questions.
jon otto, User (Posts: 13)
Feb 10, 2022 6:57:24 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
Defender is reporting Host 7.1.2.0 as Malware and removing it from the system.  Unfortunately I did a remote install of host on this robot computer.  I will try an old version of host6.10.msi.  Window 8.1
Edited:jon otto - Feb 10, 2022 6:58:30 pm EST
Feb 11, 2022 1:57:59 pm EST
Hi Jon,

Is it Windows Defender or BitDefender you are referring to?
jon otto, User (Posts: 13)
Feb 11, 2022 6:35:48 pm EST
I was asked to clarify whether our issue is with Windows Defender or BitDefender.  This is a variation, but may be of some help in trying to noodle the solution.  The answer - Windows Defender on Windows 8.1.  My Windows 10 machines using Windows Defender are not having an issue.  I tried version 6.1 host.msi and it installed, but I could not access it with the viewer7.1.2  So I turned off Defender and the host7.1.2 installed.    I then installed Avast Free and the system is working.  I will not update any more of my Windows 8.1 robots to the new host until forced to.

The funky warning in the bottom right corner is a nuisance on our unmanned robots.

Hope this helps someone else.  Jon Otto
Feb 14, 2022 3:53:17 pm EST
Hello Jon,

Thank you for your message.

I'm glad to hear it works for you now. However, in this case, please also consider adding the Host installation folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Remote Utilities - Host\ to the Windows Defender exception list as described here and submitting a false positive report to Microsoft here - this way, Microsoft will be able to remove the false positive detection and resolve the issue.

The funky warning in the bottom right corner is a nuisance on our unmanned robots.

Please note that this notification banner is persistent cannot be removed when connecting via Internet-ID connection from Viewers registered with a free license or in trial mode. For more information on the notification banner and how we plan to improve it please see this page.

Hope that helps.
les thornton, User (Posts: 7)
Feb 20, 2022 1:05:16 pm EST
same thing... looking at host log shows:

Internet-ID ErrorCode <> 0 Error code: 1
Feb 21, 2022 10:02:34 am EST
Hello Les,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please let us know if the issue still persists for you or if you're able to connect to your Hosts right now?
We've had a minor issue on our servers which occurred during the weekly maintenance, however, the issue was already fixed and other users have reported that the connection was restored for them. For more information on this issue you can also refer to this thread.

Looking forward to your reply.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)