New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

How do I download the temporary key text to update my host?????

Links used in this discussion
Michael Graziani, User (Posts: 2)
Feb 10, 2022 7:26:49 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
I cannot figure out how to "download" the temporary key text to update my host
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Feb 11, 2022 4:15:55 pm EST
Hello Michael,

Thank you for your message.

Please try clicking this link - the license key will be downloaded automatically. After the license key file is downloaded, please try registering your Viewer following this guide.

Hope that helps.
Michael Graziani, User (Posts: 2)
Feb 11, 2022 6:44:52 pm EST
Thanks for responding Pauline.  The link gives me the temporary license key as text.  I cannot figure out how to drag it into the drop box a file
Feb 14, 2022 10:25:12 am EST
Hello Michael,

Unfortunately, the temporary license key has already expired since it was only valid until February 14. In this case, please update your Host manually by downloading the Host installation package of the latest version 7.1.2.0 on this page. Then run the installer on the target remote Host machine that needs to be upgraded and follow the steps provided by the installation wizard - Host will be upgraded automatically and all settings from the previous Host will be carried over to the new installation as well.

Hope that helps.
john kumpf, User (Posts: 82)
Feb 17, 2022 10:48:00 am EST
Two questions.

Free user, I have a v6 host I forgot about.

It showed in the (v7) viewer as "Online" with a yellow triangle alert saying it's the wrong version. I didnt notice the triangle at first.

When I tried to connect the response I got was authentication error. It took me a minute to realize it was a host version problem. I suppose that can't be changed, for example to display a message saying, "Can't connect to outdated v6 host. Upgrade host to v7 or purchase a paid license." without a new version of the viewer software.

Would it be possible with a free v7 license in a v7 viewer, connecting to a v6 host, to allow Remote Install -> Update Host? IE just allow that one operation. This would seem to ease pain for free users while still encouraging them to upgrade to the latest and greatest and most secure version.
Edited:john kumpf - Feb 17, 2022 10:50:43 am EST
Feb 17, 2022 4:56:48 pm EST
Hello John,

I suppose that can't be changed, for example to display a message saying, "Can't connect to outdated v6 host. Upgrade host to v7 or purchase a paid license." without a new version of the viewer software.

Unfortunately, currently the mechanism that fetches the Host's version works this way that you need to sign in/connect to the remote Host in order for the updated version to display in Viewer - we already plan to improve this mechanism in the future updates.
In addition, we will also add a feature that will allow to run a diagnostics report on the Viewer's side to see what factors might be causing a connectivity issue, including the version mismatch.
Unfortunately, we can't provide any specific ETA on these features yet.

Would it be possible with a free v7 license in a v7 viewer, connecting to a v6 host, to allow Remote Install -> Update Host? IE just allow that one operation. This would seem to ease pain for free users while still encouraging them to upgrade to the latest and greatest and most secure version.

Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately, currently this is not possible, however, I will forward this suggestion to our development department for a review, to see if we can implement it or come up with an additional way for free users to upgrade their Hosts.

Please let us know if you have more questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)