Community

Free license: Notification near the system tray and other changes

Links used in this discussion
john kumpf, User (Posts: 82)
Feb 21, 2022 6:21:06 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
A couple of suggestions.

I appreciate the many accommodation you have given us users.

• allowing us to click through it
  • future allow it to be invisible on viewer
  • future allowing us to pick the corner.

Honestly, I feel that's the best corner. The big issue is it is *over* other w10 pop-up notifications there. Is it possible to:

• Have it be *over* other windows, but *under* pop-up notifications? That seems the ideal layer, if possible.
  • move it up a few pixels so it is above most other notifications (higher up on the screen), eg, above the USB is safe to remove notification?
  • manually position it from the viewer (and maybe host)? Sort of like the notification banner of old.
  • can a user who is local to the remote host (the "remote user," with physical access, keyboard and mouse plugged into the remote host, physically in front of it) click on the notification to dismiss it? It would seem to have served its alert purpose at that point. (Altho, perhaps not its "nag-to-upgrade" purpose which I understand.)

I have to admit (undermining my own argument) I am considering upgrading to a paid, commercial license because of it. And because of the flexibility of when to upgrade v7 to v8 which is coming in a year. And because it's currently only $99 for a perpetual license (which realistically is 1-2 years because I'll want the new version) which also gives me 20 hosts in the viewer at the same time instead of 10 because 10 is starting to become cramped for me.
Anthony Waddell, User (Posts: 13)
Feb 22, 2022 9:44:31 am EST
Regarding being able to move the banner to a different corner - will that include any of the 4 corners on a second attached monitor or only on monitor #1?
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Feb 22, 2022 4:03:10 pm EST
Hello John,

Thank you for your message.

Have it be *over* other windows, but *under* pop-up notifications? That seems the ideal layer, if possible.

Thank you for your suggestions. I will forward this suggestion to our developers for a review to see if it's possible to implement it.

manually position it fr om the viewer (and maybe host)? Sort of like the notification banner of old.

Unfortunately, it won't be possible to manually reposition the notification banner - only choose the corner of the screen wh ere you prefer the banner to be displayed.

can a user who is local to the remote host (the "remote user," with physical access, keyboard and mouse plugged into the remote host, physically in front of it) click on the notification to dismiss it? It would seem to have served its alert purpose at that point. (Altho, perhaps not its "nag-to-upgrade" purpose which I understand.)

Unfortunately, this will not be possible as well due to security reasons. However, hopefully, it will be possible to hide the notification banner on the Viewer's side - i.e. it will be displayed on the remote Host machine, but you will not see it in your Viewer.

Hope that helps.
Feb 22, 2022 4:03:21 pm EST
Hello Anthony,

I will forward your question to our development department for a review as well to see what would be the best way to implement this option for multi-monitor configurations.

Please let us know if you have other questions.
Fred Davis, User (Posts: 1)
Feb 22, 2022 7:37:05 pm EST
I can sort of understand why a connection notification might be necessary, to avoid legal problems fr om unauthorised installations of Host that are invisible to the Host User. However, placed wh ere handwritten characters are scrolled during input on tablets and touchscreens, is a MAJOR handicap for Host Users. At the very least this should have been time restricted (5 to 10 minutes) or the position selectable by the Host User. Ideally, the notification should have a "remove" option on each connection by the Host User, but protected from removal by the Remote Viewer so hidden sessions are not possible. As it stands at the moment, R/U has gone from an extremely useable product, to one that is almost unusable, sadly.
Edited:Fred Davis - Feb 22, 2022 7:50:43 pm EST
Feb 24, 2022 12:53:57 pm EST
Hello Fred,

Ideally, the notification should have a "remove" option on each connection by the Host User, but protected fr om removal by the Remote Viewer so hidden sessions are not possible.

Unfortunately, we do not plan to add this option for this specific notification banner due to security concerns. We're sorry if this makes our software less useful for you.

Please note that in the future updates it's going to be possible to select a preferred corner of the screen wh ere a user wants to display the notification banner. Unfortunately, there's no specific ETA on this yet.

Hope that helps.
Andy, User (Posts: 1)
Feb 26, 2022 2:13:40 am EST
Hi, Your "free license" generator do not effectively post to the email previously given for v6. possibly, because of "Only one free license key is allowed...", despite telling it was sent. Could you please help on it
Thanks
Feb 28, 2022 3:33:46 pm EST
Hello Andy,

The email addresses associated with the free license keys for version 6 of Remote Utilities are not restricted by our Free license key generator and should receive new license keys for version 7 as usual.
Could you please try restoring your license key using this Recover Lost Key form? This form will automatically generate and send you an email containing all the license keys associated with your email address.
In case if the above solution doesn't help, please send us an email to support@remoteutilities.com, so that we could look up your email address in our database.

Hope that helps.
magicf, User (Posts: 14)
Mar 25, 2022 5:39:13 am EDT
The best way to display pop-up notifications is to implement it into Windows 10's notifictaion area as every other software does. So doesn't need to bother the users and supporters with such annoying things.
Mar 25, 2022 10:42:19 am EDT
Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

Unfortunately, moving the notification banner to the notification area is not an option since it might be easily overlooked and not noticed by the remote user whereas the end goal of this notification banner is to make software more obvious and noticeable for the remote user. However, we plan to add an option to choose the corner of the desktop to display the notification banner and also to make it completely invisible on the Viewer's side during the remote session - this way it will be less intrusive for the techs working with Viewer.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)