Community

Unable to direct connect

Links used in this discussion
Chris Buehrer, User (Posts: 2)
Mar 03, 2022 1:00:43 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
Viewer 7.1.2.0 Windows 10 Pro
Host 7.1.2.0 Windows 10 Home OS Build 19043.1526

I am unable to direct connect to the host computer at this time.  I receive the message "Failed to initialize authentication process Attempts left: 5."  I had direct connected in the past with this viewer and host.  I have other computers on my home network that I can direct connect.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the viewers and host.  I have checked ports on the host computer.  I added the 5650 port to the host computer.  I tried changing port numbers in the host and viewers.  I am able to do an Internet-ID connection to the host within my home network, but there is significant lag.  Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks!
Chris
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Mar 03, 2022 3:27:32 pm EST
Hello Chris,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please try uninstalling your Host completely as described by following this tutorial, then re-installing it from scratch and connecting to the Host once again to see if the issue persist?
If the issue persists after re-installing as well, please also try referring to this troubleshooting guide and see if the solutions listed there help to resolve the issue.

Finally, if the solutions above didn't help, please feel free to send us the latest Host logs for examination. You can locate the Host logs in the following folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Remote Utilities - Host\Logs\. You can send the log files to support@remoteutilities.com.

Hope that helps.
Chris Buehrer, User (Posts: 2)
Mar 04, 2022 10:59:41 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
I cleared the registry entries and that did the trick.

Thank you!
Chris

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)