New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Comments in Detail View

Links used in this discussion
Patrick Riley, User (Posts: 27)
Mar 02, 2022 1:25:22 pm EST
In Viewer, I would like to add the location of some of my workstations in the comment field of the Detail View. I am having a problem with the comment disappearing. Is this a bug in the software or am I not saving it correctly?
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Mar 02, 2022 3:49:00 pm EST
Hello Patrick,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please clarify if you're adding the location information for the Comment column in the Comment field in the Connection Properties window -> Additional Properties tab? If this is the case, then please make sure that you click the OK button in the Connection properties window in order for the changes to be saved.

If the above applies and it's exactly how you add the additional text for the Comment column, but the issue persists, then it might be occurring if the Viewer's configuration file was somehow damaged (perhaps, by some firewall/antivirus software activity).
Please, try the following and see if this helps to resolve the issue:
1. Fully exit the Viewer File -> Exit.
2. Locate the file config_4.xml in the C:\Users\[Your_username]\AppData\Roaming\Remote Utilities Files\ folder.
Please note that the AppData folder might be hidden by default in which case you need to enable "Hidden files and folders" in Windows Explorer settings.
3. Remove the config_4.xml file from that folder.
This will reset the Viewer settings. Your address books won't be affected by this action. However, you will need to register your Viewer once again.
4. Run the Viewer and try adding the text for the Comment column once again.

Hope that helps.
Mar 02, 2022 3:54:46 pm EST
Yes, that is where I am adding the comment. This was a relatively new install on my machine but I will try your suggestion. Thank you.
Mar 02, 2022 4:02:30 pm EST
Hello Patrick,

Of course, please feel free to let us know if the issue persists or if you have more questions.

Thank you.
Mar 07, 2022 7:33:06 am EST
It seemed to work after I removed the config file, but when I logged in this morning all the comments were gone. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Mar 08, 2022 6:59:28 am EST
Hi Patrick,

Do you have all your remote connections (the items in the address book) in place? That is, the address book is still populated but the comments are gone, correct?
Mar 08, 2022 10:32:25 am EST
Correct. The address book is synced with active directory.
Mar 09, 2022 9:08:49 am EST
Hello Patrick,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please clarify if you mean the comments for the connections in the AD tree that are displayed in the Viewer's navigation pane as described here or do you mean that you have the AD integration set up via RU Server as described here?

Looking forward to your reply.
Mar 09, 2022 9:23:23 am EST
It is set up via the RU server. I noticed something else. I put a comment in when I was signed out of the viewer, and it was still there when I opened it. But when I signed in, it disappeared. Signing out did not bring it back.
Mar 09, 2022 9:27:03 am EST
It seems after I sign in the comments disappear. Even if I am signed in, add a comment, sign out, and sign back in, it disappears. I hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)