Community

Just an Update Info

Links used in this discussion
johnran, User (Posts: 120)
Apr 13, 2022 8:03:50 pm EDT

Pauline wrote:

Hello John,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please send us the latest Host log files along with the Windows Event logs and the Host registry key  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Usoris\Remote Utilities Host\  fr om a few Host machines wh ere the issue have re-occurred? You can send the files to  support@remoteutilities.com  as usual.
In addition, please specify the exact name of the Windows Update that was installed on the machines in question.

Looking forward to your reply.

I sent the files you requested for just one of the computers and included the event log for the 24 hours when I know it happen..
thanks
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Apr 14, 2022 10:14:57 am EDT
Hello John,

Thank you for the provided files.

I've forwarded them to our developers for examination and asked them to look into the issue once again. I'll get back to you shortly with an update from our devs.

I'll keep you updated on the issue.
Matthew Cooper, User (Posts: 38)
Apr 16, 2022 3:09:37 am EDT
I too am interested in the outcome here.

We have been forced to run dual remote access applications on all systems to account for when RU does not start the host. It is very frequent in my case, and it is not limited only to reboots after a windows update. Regular reboots where no updates take place [Such as on Server 2008 R2 machines] result in this behavior too.

We have a little shy of 500 hosts in our network, so it is common for us to not realise that a host has not started right after a reboot.

It seems that RU needs a watchdog service that can restart the host if it is not running. Although it is another moving part, maybe a simple service of this type would be able to keep the host online.

Matthew
Apr 16, 2022 1:51:18 pm EDT

Matthew Cooper wrote:

I too am interested in the outcome here.

We have been forced to run dual remote access applications on all systems to account for when RU does not start the host. It is very frequent in my case, and it is not limited only to reboots after a windows update. Regular reboots where no updates take place [Such as on Server 2008 R2 machines] result in this behavior too.

We have a little shy of 500 hosts in our network, so it is common for us to not realise that a host has not started right after a reboot.

It seems that RU needs a watchdog service that can restart the host if it is not running. Although it is another moving part, maybe a simple service of this type would be able to keep the host online.

Matthew

That is exactly what is happening us too.. you are 100% correct , it needs a watchdog to insure it is running...You said it perfect..
Apr 16, 2022 8:59:22 pm EDT
This thread got me thinking about the watchdog, so I have created a makeshift script version. Looking forward to a real fix, but in the meantime, here it is for anyone interested.

1. Create a batch file called CreateTask.cmd and insert the below code:
[This code creates a folder C:\Program Files\RUMonitor to store the script, and creates 2 scheduled tasks, the first runs the script at startup, the second runs the script every hour on the hour. Feel free to modify the schedule to your needs]

md "C:\Program Files\RUMonitor"
Copy RUMonitor.cmd "c:\Program Files\RUMonitor"

SCHTASKS /CREATE /RU SYSTEM /SC ONSTART /TN "RUMonitor Startup" /TR "C:\Program Files\RUMonitor\RUMonitor.cmd"

SCHTASKS /CREATE /RU SYSTEM /SC HOURLY /TN "RUMonitor Hourly" /TR "C:\Program Files\RUMonitor\RUMonitor.cmd" /ST 00:00:00
2. Create a second batch script called RUMonitor.cmd and insert the below code:
[This code checks to see if the RU host is running, if it is, nothing is performed. If it is not, a start command is sent to the service]

echo off
for /F "tokens=3 delims=: " %%H in ('sc query "RManService" ^| findstr "        STATE"') do (
 if /I "%%H" NEQ "RUNNING" (
  REM Put the service to start here
  net start "RManService"
 )
)
3. Place both scripts in a folder together [it does not matter which folder], then run the CreateTask.cmd as administrator. That's all that is required. You will see the 2 tasks in Task Scheduler.

I have created an executable of this for our own use here:
http://mcadsl.com/pub_files/RUMonitor.msi
If you would like a copy of this script source, I cannot attach it to this post, but you can download it here:
http://mcadsl.com/pub_files/RUMonitorSource.zip
Edited:Matthew Cooper - Apr 16, 2022 8:59:50 pm EDT
Apr 17, 2022 10:38:45 am EDT
This is Very awsome of you to do and appreciate it BUT when I run the install I get my antivirus blocking it saying its a Adware install virus.. Im sure it it not but Im not sure why it is doing this?

I just added it in a folder and ran it as admin, testing it out right now will leave update after litttle while..thanks
Edited:johnran - Apr 17, 2022 10:51:56 am EDT
Apr 17, 2022 11:31:15 am EDT
there must be an error in your script because I added it as you said and they do  show it he task manager but fail to work. What I did instead was to just create a task to start the Host every hour to insure that it is working and that works.. Great Idea you had, not sure why the script isnt working but hay it gave me a idea that helped.  I just hope that the triggering to start the host does not create a problem if its already running?
Apr 17, 2022 3:23:51 pm EDT
I just created the task in the task scheduler  to run every hour gave it the highest privileges and then exported the task to the other computers and added it so they are all the same.. seems to work very well as a workaround to make sure it always runs..
Apr 17, 2022 6:06:18 pm EDT
The antivirus is probably picking up the script as unknown and untrusted program. I would say that it quarantined the RUMonitor.cmd file which is why it did not work for you initially.

Your way will still work fine, I needed a way to quickly deploy it to machines which is why I created the installer. Creating an exclusion in the antivirus will probably solve this for you if you wish to do that.

You should see no adverse affects in running this as the script executes no commands when the RU service is already started, it will only issue a start command if the status returns not equal to running.
Apr 17, 2022 6:09:23 pm EDT
...I just re-read your post and realised you are not using the script. I am unsure if there will be any effect of running the start command when the service is already running. Probably not, but I guess you will know for sure after it runs for a few days.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)