Community

Just an Update Info

Links used in this discussion
C Truss, User (Posts: 6)
Apr 22, 2022 8:57:45 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Afternoon,

It seems from reading this thread  I am experiencing the same issues whereby a reboot of host following Windows Updates (not limited to a specific one in particular)  or any reboot in particular laur on Windows Server 2019 the Host fails to start requires a Start>>Remote Utilities Host >> Start Host to get things up and running again. (I have also followed Host service won't start

The Host file doesn't lend any clues on failures just successful connections.

However in Windows Event Log

Just an Update Info - 22 Apr 2022 08:56:18

Seems to be the same errors Peter Gray identified in this separate topic which he refers to in this post Peter Grays Post

Pleased to see a fix has been identified.
Edited:C Truss - Apr 22, 2022 9:01:34 am EDT
Matthew Cooper, User (Posts: 38)
Apr 22, 2022 9:35:23 am EDT
The timeout error is interesting.
If the host is trying to start, and there is some dependency service that is not yet running, I guess that is a possible source for the issue, but in my case, I have previously tried setting the service recovery options to Restart the Service for 1st, 2nd and subsequent failures, but this was not effective in resolving the problem. Only a manual start request seemed to ever work.

Matthew
C Truss, User (Posts: 6)
Apr 22, 2022 10:05:08 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial

Matthew Cooper wrote:

The timeout error is interesting.
If the host is trying to start, and there is some dependency service that is not yet running, I guess that is a possible source for the issue, but in my case, I have previously tried setting the service recovery options to Restart the Service for 1st, 2nd and subsequent failures, but this was not effective in resolving the problem. Only a manual start request seemed to ever work.

Matthew

Hi Matthew. Yup only a manual start will get it going again
johnran, User (Posts: 120)
Apr 22, 2022 10:33:42 am EDT
Same here it had to be a manual start, that’s why this fix were using in the task scheduler is working so well..
Edited:johnran - Apr 22, 2022 10:34:01 am EDT
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Apr 22, 2022 4:25:47 pm EDT
Hello everyone,

Thank you for your updates on the issue.

I've forwarded the Windows Event log information to our developers - hopefully this might help to speed up the issue resolution.

I'll keep you all updated on the issue.
Apr 25, 2022 8:57:00 pm EDT
There is another issue that accompanies this for us, I am unsure if it is part of the same problem, and it is less common than the startup problem.

We notice it on hosts that run for long periods of time without reboots, sometimes the host will go offline in the viewer, and the icon on the host machine will turn grey. Attached are screenshots from 1 such host currently. In this case, the RU service is running. If I manually restart the service, the host will come back online, and is then I can connect. But it will not recover on its own. We do not have logging enabled on the host machines so I do not have any information to accompany this.
Attached Files
Just an Update Info Just an Update Info
Apr 26, 2022 8:41:55 am EDT
Hello Matthew,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please let us know what’s the version of Host running on the machines where the issue occurs? In addition, please let us know Viewer’s and RU Server’s versions as well.

Looking forward to your reply.
johnran, User (Posts: 120)
May 03, 2022 8:53:39 pm EDT
This occured again when we updated our computers with windows update the update number was KB5011831
It was pretty big and after doing the update the host on all the machines failed to start up again, Luckaly we used the fix thats re-started the host every hour if not running..
Just a heads up which update did it this time.. It was for windows 10 machines..
Edited:johnran - May 03, 2022 8:54:21 pm EDT
May 04, 2022 4:09:27 pm EDT
Hello John,

Thank you for letting us know.

I'll forward this to our developers and we will additionally test this out to see if it might help to identify the root of the issue.

I'll keep you updated and will let you know if there are any news from our devs on this.
May 31, 2022 7:21:14 pm EDT
Just realised that I had not responded to Pauline's question.

All of our hosts are running 7.1.2.0 and the viewer is also 7.1.2.0.

Matthew

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)