Community

[ Closed ] can not connect to any hosts

Links used in this discussion
Jenni Armstrong, User (Posts: 2)
Apr 28, 2022 1:44:31 pm EDT

David Stephens wrote:

Tried brand new installs on computers that hadn't received any Microsoft updates for the last few weeks. Neither can connect to the other. Nor to any other PCs.

good to know that's not the problem, David, thanks.
Paul Truswell, User (Posts: 12)
Apr 28, 2022 1:46:57 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial

james cab wrote:

same here!  Florida
Unable to connect since this morning.  Yet I can connect to  a different machine in our office that is 5 feet from mine.  Using comcast at both ends.  Please help

James - I can also use the software OK when on the same IP scope on the local LAN - when the RU changes came in I couldn't connect to a machine only a few feet away (RU was useful in an office situation respecting local laws re Covid social-distancing in the UK during the pandemic) and got around that by not using the Internet ID to connect but by finding and using the host machine's local IP address.  Quite whether that misses out RU's connection servers altogether I have no idea but it worked :)
Paul Truswell, User (Posts: 12)
Apr 28, 2022 1:57:26 pm EDT
I think it is worth making the point that in my case communications must be happening between my RU viewer and the remote RU host because the RU viewer can see that the RU host is online; but nothing more.  In other words there's a handshake but no meeting!
james cab, User (Posts: 3)
Apr 28, 2022 2:00:24 pm EDT
Paul.  Yes, the exact same thing as far as my viewer sees my host is online, but cannot connect.

As far as using the Host machine's local IP address.. I know what my local ip address is, just can you explain or point me to where I can connect using that instead of Internet ID please?  Thanks in advance
Edited:james cab - Apr 28, 2022 2:01:31 pm EDT
Dustin Miller, User (Posts: 17)
Apr 28, 2022 2:17:12 pm EDT
still down.....
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Apr 28, 2022 2:48:38 pm EDT
Hello everyone,

Thank you for your messages.

This is to inform you that we're currently investigating the issue and what might have caused it. Please note that we're only assuming that the issue might be caused by some third-party activity since this is the most common scenario in our practice.

While our developers are looking into the issue, please try the following:

Clean the DNS cache:
- Fully exit Viewer File -> Exit.
- Press Win+R to open the Run dialog.
- Type in ipconfig /flushdns and click OK (or press Enter) to clear the DNS cache.
- Restart Viewer and see if you're able to connect to your Hosts.

In addition, please double-check the following:
- Make sure that required ports are opened on both sides of the connection.
- If you have any antivirus/firewall software installed on your machines, please check if it's not blocking Remote Utilities or access to our servers (please note that you might not be aware of their internal database updates which might mistakenly include our software or even our servers and, therefore, block the access to RU for you without any notifications). If it does, then please try adding Remote Utilities to the exception list as described here as well as adding the DNS name id.remoteutilities.com to the exception list.

Last but not least, since the issue might also be occurring if there are some issues with DNS resolution (for example, on the side of a DNS service, like Cloudflare), please also try setting your DNS servers to Google Public DNS servers in your TCP/IP properties and see if this helps.

We'll keep you updated on the issue.
Weapon26, User (Posts: 3)
Apr 28, 2022 3:29:54 pm EDT
Oh! It's started working, unsure if it was the solution Pauline offered or if something changed, but thanks!!!
Edited:Weapon26 - Apr 28, 2022 3:31:29 pm EDT
Apr 28, 2022 3:33:54 pm EDT
still not working here.....
Apr 28, 2022 3:36:25 pm EDT
apparently if your host is a windows 10 machine you can go in through quick assist.  You'll need someone at your host to go to the desktop, start menu, and search quick assist and allow you access.  Which isn't always easy if there isn't anyone available...
Martin Nosal, User (Posts: 6)
Apr 28, 2022 3:36:57 pm EDT
same for me, mine are still not working and it has been all day now. it cannot be ISP provider's issue as some other users are able to connect (but they did have issues in the morning) and some cannot

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)