New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Remote Utilities Host Can't Connect Until Restarted

Links used in this discussion
Shane Farmer, User (Posts: 5)
May 09, 2022 11:33:34 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
This just started in the last few months.  Not sure if it was before the 7.1.2.0 update or not.

The service is running, but the system tray icon is grey when it happens.  I can remote into another system and then restart the host on my machine just fine.  So that other machine doesn't have this issue.  Once I restart the Host, I can connect just like I always have, but after a period of time, it will disconnect.  I have timed it, but I would say it's 15-30 minutes.  Then when I remote into another machine and into this one (using UltraVNC), I can restart the Host and connect again.  I have have Sophos on this machine and not the other, so maybe something there?
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
May 11, 2022 4:04:12 pm EDT
Hello Shane,

Thank you for your message.

The issue might be caused by some antivirus software activity, for example, if Sophos is mistakenly blocking Host service. Could you please try adding the following Host installation folder to the Sophos exception list and see if it helps to resolve the issue:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Remote Utilities - Host\?
Here's how you can add an exception for Sophos.
In addition, if the above suggestion helps to resolve the issue, please feel free to to submit a false positive report on this page.

Hope that helps.
May 23, 2022 3:31:05 pm EDT
Sorry for long wait.  Just wanted to mention that this had been working until more recently.  The service itself is showing as running, but I get the grey tray icon, and not blue.  

I did just add to exception list and will report back.  I did this for file/folder and process exception.
May 23, 2022 4:58:28 pm EDT
Hello Shane,

Thank you for the update.

Of course, please feel free to let us know if adding the exceptions helps to resolve the issue. In addition, you can also submit a false positive report to Sophos in order to resolve the issue on their side as well.

Please let us know if the issue persists or if you have more questions.
Shane Farmer, User (Posts: 1)
May 31, 2022 8:52:01 am EDT
I think I'm logged into the wrong account, but I am the same one who started the thread.  Anyway, I figured out the issue.  My machine was set to stay on, but had to swap out for another that went to sleep.  After waking from sleep, the Host service will not restart on it's own.  So Sophos had nothing to do with it.  

Restarting the service would fix it until the machine goes back to sleep.  I could remotely wake from another machine on the network and then remote in and restart service.  Waking the machine alone wouldn't fix it.
May 31, 2022 11:04:11 am EDT
Hello Shane,

I'm glad to hear you've figured out what was causing it and that it works for you now! Thank you for providing your feedback on this as well.

Please feel free to let us know if you have more questions or need our assistance.
Matthew Cooper, User (Posts: 38)
May 31, 2022 7:18:26 pm EDT
Hi Shane

If your experience follows that of mine and others here, you may find that this problem persists.

See this post for more discussion.
https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/forums/forum1/2278-just-an-update-info

In my case, the issue is not firewall, or sleep or connection interruption. It is an RU issue. If it were not, it would be difficult to explain how it happens on dozens of machines, all in different geographical locations, on different internet provider connections, with different hardware, with different antivirus, connected through different routers, with varying sleep/no sleep settings.

I have resorted to a 3 scheduled tasks that check on startup for the service to be running, then check hourly again, and finally a third to restart the service each day at 4am.
This has made the issue less of a headache, but it does still exist.

Matthew
Jun 14, 2022 9:33:50 pm EDT
Setting it to stay awake wasn't the trick.  I have submitted to Sophos and they say there is no issue, either.  I have excluded from App Control and AV in Sophos.  No change.  The service show running, but there is no connection until the app is restarted.
Jun 15, 2022 5:08:14 pm EDT
Hello Shane,

Thank you for your message.

Please note that I've responded in this thread in order to avoid duplication. In addition, please let us know if you've already tried full uninstalling Host as described here and re-installing it from scratch?

Looking forward to your reply.
Jan Scheeren, User (Posts: 1)
Jul 05, 2022 12:05:57 pm EDT
Interestingly, I have experienced the same results attempting to connect to a Windows 11 PC remotely after my router at the host end has been rebooted. This has only been going on in the last couple of months or so. After the reboot of the router (but not the PC) I cannot connect to PC for about 20-30 minutes, but then all is fine. NoMachine has the same problem, but not  [censored] .

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)