New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

v7.1.4.0 problems on Windows 7

Links used in this discussion
Peter Gray, User (Posts: 48)
Jul 16, 2022 3:34:33 pm EDT
Support level: Starter
v7.1.4.0 Viewer seemed to install OK on one W7 machine: It can see hosts (all still at v7.1.2.0), and can control at least one of them.

However, on trying to do a remote install of the host to a test machine, with Remote Utilities security, I got a fail message:-
***** Start of log *****
Date: 16/07/2022 19:51:44
Action: install/upgrade.
Checking files of the Host.
Host files not found!
This happened both when trying to install v7.1.4.8 host, and also later when trying to install v7.1.2.0 host.

I also tried remote installs from a different viewr which is still at v7.1.2.0..
Remote install of host v7.1.2.0 succeeded as usual.
Remote install of host v7.1.4.0 reported success, but I wa sthen unable to connect to that host.  Further inspection showd that the host v7.1.2.0 had been uninstalled, bit v7.1.4.0 has NOT been installed in its place

Manual re-install of v7.1.2.0 using the .exe installer on that machine fortunately worked

I now see that v7.1.5.0 has just been released.  I'll download that and see if these problems are also fixed and report back
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Jul 16, 2022 3:38:54 pm EDT
Hi Peter,

Yes, version 7.1.5 has a bugfix for the issue with Host showing an error message when the user copies rich content on the remote computer.

With regards to the issue above - if you are updating existing Host installation it is recommend to use the "Simple update" feature as described in this guide https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/docs/updating-remote-utilities/.
Peter Gray, User (Posts: 48)
Jul 16, 2022 5:03:30 pm EDT
Support level: Starter
Hi Conrad.

v7.1.5.0 fixed the "Host files not found!" problem above, but I found that Avast had quarnteened parts of the viewer.  That was easy to fix.

Trying to update the host on my test machine consistently failed due to Avast false positives (which I have not yet worked out how to get around).  Fortunately that machine is in the same room with me, so I can see what's happening.  Trying remote install failed to update, but left host v7.1.2.0 running.  Trying simple update appears to have stopped the host, or maybe uninstalled it; I have not yet checked on that.

I'll maybe wait a few days before trying further host updates, in the hope that false positives will have stopped.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Jul 17, 2022 3:56:00 am EDT
Hi Peter,

We have sent false positive reports to Avast. As always (pardon my sarcasm here) the allmighty "security experts" and their algorithms are incapable of joining the dots and figure out that it's just an update of an existing product signed with the same digital signature rather than a new virus or trojan :)

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)