Community

Windows Defender flags 7.1.7.0 as VIRUS

Links used in this discussion
Manuel Lopez, User (Posts: 11)
Sep 04, 2022 2:43:52 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Windows Defender (windows 10, latest definitions) is preventing an upgrade from 7.1.6 to 7.1.7 of Remote utilities, flagging it as a virus:
Win32/Hive.ZY

I reported it as a mistaken detection but can you please confirm. Thank you.

Thank you.
Sep 04, 2022 2:46:23 pm EDT
David Silvera, User (Posts: 16)
Sep 05, 2022 9:20:30 am EDT
Hi Manuel,

Yeah Microsoft released a new signature on Sunday and it seemed to have created a big problem with false positives in a lot of programs. On my personal computer I got 3 false positives with this same Win32/Hive.ZY, but it couldn't tell me which programs. I think it was probably related to a game I was opening.

Others reported that it flagged Google Chrome as false positive as well. See here: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-defender-falsely-detects-win32-hivezy-in-google-chrome-electron-apps/

Microsoft has released signature updates for Windows Defender so update it and test this again.
Current version is 1.373.1581.0
Sep 05, 2022 9:43:54 am EDT
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2991)
Sep 05, 2022 10:19:31 am EDT
Hello,

One of those rare moments when it's not us who are getting blamed for the false positives, but the antivirus engine that generated them :)
David Silvera, User (Posts: 16)
Sep 05, 2022 10:51:55 am EDT

Conrad Sallian wrote:

Hello,

One of those rare moments when it's not us who are getting blamed for the false positives, but the antivirus engine that generated them :)

Lol Conrad.

Well you know the argument could be made, that since you released the update Friday, then Windows Defender now detects it as virus few days later, that you all put something in the latest release that caused all this. Lol

But let common sense prevail in this situation. :)
Edited:David Silvera - Sep 05, 2022 10:55:10 am EDT

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)