Community

Fatal Error rfusclient.exe not found

Links used in this discussion
Pam Kelli, User (Posts: 8)
Sep 01, 2022 2:09:42 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Both Viewer and Host version 7.1.6.0 on Windows 10
After update from 7.1.2.0 my host will not connect and I get the fatal error message.
I have run Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool and done a complete reinstall (3 times) of Host as per the guide on this platform.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Sep 01, 2022 3:24:27 pm EDT
Hello Pam,

Thank you for your message.

Please try using this troubleshooting tool from Microsoft which automatically repairs issues when you're blocked from installing/uninstalling and updating programs as well as corrupted registry keys. You need to simply download the troubleshooter, run it and follow the steps provided by the troubleshooter.

Please let us know if this works for you or if the issue persists.
Sep 02, 2022 9:36:05 am EDT
Thanks for the info Pauline. I tried the tool and the response was that the problem was fixed but I'm still getting the rfusclient.exe not found fatal error.
Please note that I don't have a problem installing or uninstalling the RU host. It's only when I try to connect to the host from my viewer (both running 7.1.6.0 on Windows 10) using either the ID number or using the direct connection with both computers connected to the same WiFi
Sep 02, 2022 11:16:35 am EDT
Hello Pam,

Thank you for the clarification.

Could you please confirm that you're getting the error message on the Viewer's side and not on the remote Host machine? In addition, please also let us know if the issue occurs when you try connecting to only one Host (via a specific connection in your address book) or if you try connecting to any Host in your address book?

Looking forward to your reply.
Sep 03, 2022 10:31:51 am EDT
Okay, this is where I am.
I performed a complete removal of both the viewer and the host. (including removing traces of the program fr om the registry). I then did a new download and install of the 7.1.6.0 version of each. I created a new Internet ID and and a new connection on my viewer and attempted to connect. This is the only place wh ere I receive any errors. As soon as I try to connect, the Host computer gives the "fatal error: rfusclient.exe not found" The Viewer computer shows no errors and just continues to show the "Connecting to HOST" screen.
I can connect to the only other host I have in my address book but that host has not yet been upgraded to 7.1.6.0. This brings me to the conclusion that there is a glitch in the new Host version.
Peter Gray, User (Posts: 48)
Sep 04, 2022 6:26:23 pm EDT
Support level: Starter
Hello Pam and Pauline.
I have had this behaviour on at least two of my Windows7 machines since upgrading the host to 7.1.6.0.  Having had a similar problem with an earlier version (can't remember which) and found it was an anti-virus issue, I checked the quarantine, and found rfusclient.exe there.  AV is Avast.  I submitted false positives, then restored the file and set an exception.  After that I could start the host, and then the viewer could connect to it.
One of the hosts I shut down each day; on startup next day the same problem again, but reporting as a different virus.  I don't have physical access to that machine right now, so I can't check to see if it happens again until Friday.  The other hosts have not been shut down and I can still connect to them, but I dare not upgrade to 7.1.7.0 until I get back and have physical access.
Bottom line, look to see if your AV has quarantined the file.
Hope that helps.
Peter.
Sep 05, 2022 11:46:55 am EDT
Hello everyone,

Thank you for your messages.

Please note that Microsoft has recently release an update for an issue with false positives which might be helpful in case if your antivirus software uses their databases (or refers to them). For more information you can refer to this page. So in this case, please try updating your Viewer and Hosts to the latest version 7.1.7.0 using Simple Update and please make sure to add your RU installation folders to the exception lists just in case as described here.
In addition, please make sure that you have the latest updates for Windows installed - you can use the Check for updates feature in the Windows Security Virus & threat protection screen to check for the latest updates.

Please let us know if the issue still persists after installing the mentioned updates for Windows and Remote Utilities as well.
Sep 06, 2022 7:27:15 pm EDT
The update appears to have worked. I had to uninstall the host and reinstall the new version because in order to do a simple update from the viewer you have to be able to connect.
Sep 07, 2022 10:51:44 am EDT
Hello Pam,

I'm glad to hear it worked for you!

Please feel free to post another message if you have any questions or need our assistance - we're always happy to help.
Sep 08, 2022 8:04:52 am EDT
Sorry to report that the fatal error is back. It was a good run, almost a full 24 hours!
This morning when I tried to connect to the same host, that was working last night, the same error came on the host and I cannot connect.
I also upgraded my other host computer to the 7.1.7.0 and I cannot connect to it. The owner of the host is not available yet to advise if they have the same error screen.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)