New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Just an Update Info

Links used in this discussion
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Jun 01, 2022 4:35:41 pm EDT
Hello Matthew,

Thank you for letting us know.

We're currently still investigating the issue, but hopefully, will be able to implement a fix for it in our upcoming updates. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please let us know if you have other questions.
Shane Farmer, User (Posts: 5)
Jun 14, 2022 9:35:57 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Seems to be the same issue as Matthew.  He posted a link to this issue on my thread, and at first wasn't sure, but the symptoms are the same in the last few posts.  Maybe I didn't read far enough last time.
johnran, User (Posts: 120)
Jun 14, 2022 9:53:53 pm EDT
After creating a task in the scheduler to check if its running  “the host” every 1 hour I haven’t had any more problems since the task scheduler is making sure its running  for the past couple months..… just a update for you all
Matthew Cooper, User (Posts: 38)
Jun 15, 2022 1:51:58 am EDT
I initially thought I had this solved with my 2 tasks [1 to start service upon startup and s second running every hour]
However, this was not totally effective in keeping all hosts online.

I have had to go a step further and add a task that performs a stop service then start service at 4am every day.
Without this task, I was finding that some [not all] hosts would go grey, and never come back online. The service itself was running, but the host was just offline.
It is not an issue that occurs every day, it seems very random. The best theory I have is that if the host loses connectivity to the RU server for an [as yet unknown] extended amount of time, it seems to give up trying, and never reconnects. Maybe there is a connection retry limit in the hosts somewhere.

The 4am daily restart so far appears to be dealing with this issue for me, and as I typically do not need overnight sessions to stay active, it does not have any negative impact here. However, my gripe is that if the remote host restarts and I have left a session running, the screen at my viewer end will show offline, but does not close, then when I have to close the viewer window, it takes about 5-8 seconds for each window to close, which is frustrating.

I have only implemented these recurring tasks [I call it the RUM; Remote Utilities Monitor] on a small number of our hosts, but overall, the reliability has improved significantly on these, whilst the non RUM'd machines are often problematic.

It would be great if RU could have its own watchdog service built in, so we would not have implement our own.

Matthew
Jun 15, 2022 5:04:46 pm EDT
Hello everyone,

Thank you for the provided updates.

It would be great if RU could have its own watchdog service built in, so we would not have implement our own.

Matthew, thank you for your suggestion. We actually already plan to add similar functionality in our future updates - we plan to add an automatic report on Viewer's side that can identify an issue (e.g. no connection with the servers, Host is not running, etc.) and we will additionally increase connection retries for remote sessions.

I will keep you all updated and will let you know if there are any news on this issue from our developers. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please let us know if you have more questions.
Shane Farmer, User (Posts: 5)
Sep 21, 2022 7:59:50 pm EDT
Any word on this?  Still happening here on version 7.1.7.0 host.
Sep 22, 2022 7:12:47 pm EDT
Hello Shane,

Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately, we're still testing this out and couldn't reproduce the issue so far. It seems like the issue is caused by some Windows updates though. Could you please let us know if the issue occurs on a virtual machine or on a regular desktop system or if you're able to reproduce it on multiple machines?

Looking forward to your reply.
Matthew Cooper, User (Posts: 38)
Sep 22, 2022 8:09:39 pm EDT
Hi Shane

Your mileage may vary, but for us, windows update does not appear to be a defining factor. We have RU on Windows XP and Windows 7 machines in manufacturing that are not updated and have no general internet access, and these still suffer from this issue.

Rebooting after a windows update may appear to trigger the issue, but rebooting without any updates being applied is also a cause in our case.

The only workaround we have been able to make work is the service refresh as mentioned earlier in this tread.
I have not noticed the problem being worse on the last couple of RU versions, but I cannot see an improvement either.

Matthew
C Truss, User (Posts: 6)
Oct 11, 2023 12:37:39 pm EDT
I see version 7,2,1 has been released. Anyone in a position to turn off what i call the Cooper fix and see if the Host comes up by itself
Oct 11, 2023 3:22:22 pm EDT
Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Anyone in a position to turn off what i call the Cooper fix and see if the Host comes up by itself

Could you please elaborate a bit more on the issue you’re experiencing? We’ll be happy to help you to resolve it if you’re able to provide more details.

Looking forward to your reply.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)