New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

daylight savings time (DST) in host logs, eg EDT, EST vs UTC

john kumpf, User (Posts: 82)
Oct 11, 2022 7:19:43 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
At the time of the log entry below, (Oct 10-11 2022) it was daylight savings time (DST) in eastern time zone. DST ends Nov 6, 2022.

EDT is UTC-4 (daylight savings time).

EST is UTC-5 (standard time).

My host log has an entry:

11.10.2022---02:33:36:992 	116 	73.[ip] 	Incoming ID connection from IP: 73.[ip]
That's Oct 11 2:33am UTC.

Since at time of log entry it was EDT that should be -4 meaning:

Oct 10 10:33pm EDT (previous day since the conversion crosses the day boundary)

But this entry was really created at the following time. I know because I remember and have other logs:

Oct 10 9:33pm EDT (ie 9pm rather than 10pm)

So it seems like RUT is not logging the time based on a current read of UTC, but rather doing a strict "+5" off "eastern time" to convert to UTC. I admit, this is speculation on my part. But the math appears to be off. Unless I'm missing something.

I note that in Windows 10 settings, the setting is for time zone is "UTC-05:00 eastern time". It does not distinguish between daylight savings time or not in this setting. There's a separate "adjust for daylight savings time automatically." Maybe RUT has to mimic this setting itself. I don't know--I'm speculating.
Attached Files
daylight savings time (DST) in host logs, eg EDT, EST vs UTC
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Oct 12, 2022 4:09:38 pm EDT
Hello John,

Thank you for your message.

Yes, the records in the log file are written down in UTC (UCT-5/EST) time. We plan to improve logging mechanism in our future updates and, hopefully, that would include the ability for Host to record the log files in the localized timezone automatically adjusted according to the time set on the Host machine itself. However, we're still investigating on how we could implement this, so, unfortunately, there's no specific ETA on it.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)