Community

rfusclient.exe is corrupt error when installing - NO A/V installed

Links used in this discussion
David Dwinell, User (Posts: 1)
Mar 01, 2018 4:38:02 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
I have a Windows 7 Pro client with all updates installed as of 3/1/18.  When I try to install version 6.8.0.1 from https://www.remoteutilities.com/download/beta.php I get an error message: "Fatal error. rfusclient.exe is corrupted.".  The app and service install, but the service will not start.  I've cleaned up the installation- removing data from appdata folder, registry keys, etc., and attempted a re-download / re-install to no avail.  I'v had this happen on a couple other machines, but have installed the host many times without issue on other machines.  This workstation does NOT have AV installed yet.  When I launch C:\Program Files (x86)\Remote Utilities - Host\rutserv.exe in compatibility mode, the app starts (using windows troubleshooter) and runs.  The troubleshooter says the program in incompatible though.  See attached screenshots. Any idea what's going on?  

Thanks,
Dave
Attached Files
rfusclient.exe is corrupt error when installing - NO A/V installed rfusclient.exe is corrupt error when installing - NO A/V installed rfusclient.exe is corrupt error when installing - NO A/V installed
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Mar 01, 2018 5:00:56 pm EST
Hello David,

Thank you for your post.

The link you provided is a temporary link to a beta page. However, it should redirect to the normal download page at this URL https://www.remoteutilities.com/download/

This workstation does NOT have AV installed yet. When I launch C:\Program Files (x86)\Remote Utilities - Host\rutserv.exe in compatibility mode, the app starts (using windows troubleshooter) and runs.

This is not the way to start the Host. You should start it using the Windows Start menu -> Remote Utilities Host -> Start Host. Do not click directly on the exe file, that won't work.

By default the Host should start automatically once you install it. If it doesn't start (i.e. you don't see its icon in the system tray and no rutserv.exe and rfusclient.exe processes in Task Manager) then you should restart the Host computer.  

Hope that helps.
Carlos Thomas, User (Posts: 19)
Nov 07, 2022 10:08:26 pm EST
Good night. I'm actually having this issue on a single system with 7.1.7.0. Are there any logs that I can send to help troubleshoot?
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Nov 08, 2022 11:53:40 am EST
Hello Carlos,

Thank you for your message.

You can try checking if an installation log file was created for Host and send it to us to support@remoteutilities.com. You can locate the installation logs here: C:\ProgramData\Remote Utilities\install.log.
In addition, please let us know if there's any antivirus software installed on the machine where the issue occurs.

You can also try fully uninstalling Host first following this full uninstallation guide, then restart the Host PC and try installing Host once again.

Let us know if this works for you.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)