New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Host uninstalled when installing an application

Links used in this discussion
Leo Kupers, User (Posts: 4)
Dec 06, 2022 10:51:01 am EST
When we upgrade or install an application via Remote Utilities (Via External Installation) the installation works fine, but before installing it first uninstalls the Remote Utilities Host on the concerning workstation(s).

***** Start van logboek *****
Gegevens: 6-12-2022 16:34:29
Actie: installatie/update.
Controleren van bestanden van de Host.
Gebruikersnaam/wachtwoord?
----------
Actie voor: com15-082 (com15-082)
Verbinden...
--> leo.admin@pantein.grp
Host verwijderen.
Kopieer bestanden...
Bestand: rutserv.exe
Bestand: ChipSoft.6.1.msi
Kopiëren afgewerkt.
Verwerken...
Actie succesvol voltooid.
***** Einde van logboek *****

Does anybody know this issue/behaviour and eventually the solution?
I have to admit that our Remote Utilities Host version is 6.255.61100.
The version of our Viewer is 7.1.2.0.

Kind regards,

Leo
Attached Files
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Dec 06, 2022 12:24:15 pm EST
Hello Leo,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please try updating your Viewer to the most recent version 7.1.7.0 and see if the same issue still persists? The issue might be simply caused by an outdated version or something that was already fixed in the subsequent updates, so that's why we should check this first.
In addition, please also let us know if you have any antivirus software installed on any of the machines.

Please let us know if the issue persists.
Dec 07, 2022 4:14:51 am EST
Hello Pauline,

I updated the viewer on my workstation to version 7.1.7.0.
Then I installed the application again on the same way, but the conduct is still the same, so the host is being removed first and then the chosen application is installed:

***** Start van logboek *****
Gegevens: 7-12-2022 10:00:19
Actie: installatie/update.
Controleren van bestanden van de Host.
Gebruikersnaam/wachtwoord?
----------
Actie voor: com15-082 (com15-082)
Verbinden...
--> leo.admin@pantein.grp
Host verwijderen.
Kopieer bestanden...
Bestand: rutserv.exe
Bestand: ChipSoft.6.1.msi
Kopiëren afgewerkt.
Verwerken...
Actie succesvol voltooid.
***** Einde van logboek *****

The target workstation or workstations only have a Remote Utilities host installed and not a viewer.
We have on all our workstations and servers the virusscanner Cortex from Palo Alto, agentversions 7.8.0 or 7.8.1.

Kind regards,

Leo
Dec 07, 2022 11:05:17 am EST
Hello Leo,

Thank you for the clarification.

Could you please confirm if you mean that when you use the Remote Install Tool to update your Hosts (or some of their settings), you see that the Action log says that Host was uninstalled before being re-installed? If this is the case, then it's normal and expected behavior. Therefore, if target Host works as expected, there's nothing you should do, unless, of course, any issues occur with the updated Host/Hosts afterwards.
In addition, we'd recommend that you add Remote Utilities installation folders to the antivirus software exception list following this guide since this can help to avoid issues in the future when a/v software might mistakenly remove the program or its components.

Please let us know if you have more questions.
Dec 07, 2022 11:41:25 am EST
Hello Pauline,

I am not trying to upgrade the Remote Utilities Host, but other software from another vendor. So completely unrelated to the Remote Utilities software.

I select one or a number of workstations, right click and choose for 'Externe Installatie' (=Dutch for external installation). Then I browse to the other software to upgrade that software.

See the attachment.

Kind regards,

Leo
Attached Files
Dec 07, 2022 2:56:51 pm EST
Hello Leo,

Do you mean that you're trying to install a third-party software using the Remote Install Tool? The option in the menu that you're referring to is for the Remote Install Tool which can only be used to deploy Hosts and not the third-party software.
For the purpose of installing third-party software you can use the Execute connection mode or just connect to a remote machine using the Full Control mode and install software as you'd normally do.

Hope that helps.
Dec 09, 2022 2:58:39 am EST
Hello Pauline,

Yes, that is what we did. This explains it. Thanks for your help and for the instructions about the Execution Connection Mode.

Kind regards,

Leo
Dec 09, 2022 11:52:28 am EST
Hello Leo,

I'm glad to hear we were able to help!

Please feel free to let us know if you have more questions or need our assistance.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)