New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

[ Closed ] [Resolved] msi configurator

Links used in this discussion
asdffdsa, User (Posts: 41)
May 10, 2023 6:35:08 pm EDT
Support level: Starter
hello, thanks,
when creating a host/agent via msi Configurator, how can i hardcode the internet id?
having to rely on smtp email, kinda of flaky concept, subject to firewall lockdown.
given that the msi Configurator already contacts your server for digital signing, should be easy to set the internet id.
thanks,
david
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2832)
May 10, 2023 7:12:28 pm EDT
Hello David,

Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately, you can’t hardcode an Internet-ID code into a custom installation package. This is due to the fact that a 12-digit Internet-ID code is randomly generated for each Host in order to avoid duplication.
As an alternative to the SMTP server, you can also set up an Auto-import feature for your Hosts to be added automatically. However, please note that this feature requires self-hosted RU Server to be set up as both your routing server and sync server for the address book sync.

Let us know if you have more questions.
May 10, 2023 8:06:09 pm EDT
fwiw, i see no practical difference between generating the id at when creating the .msi versus generating it at run time?
in each case, just update your database of ID. really, no chance of running out of IDs with a 12-digit code.

in any event, thanks for the quick answer.
May 10, 2023 8:44:18 pm EDT
my real goal is to streamline this process
1. install agent, which creates an new ID
2. use `restart as` to enable admin privileges.
3. install host, which creates an additional new ID

if the install of the host could re-use the id of the agent, then what would solve my issue.
May 11, 2023 11:47:44 am EDT
Hello David,

Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately, as of now, there's no feature to generate an Internet-ID code manually. I will, however, forward your suggestion to our developers for a review.

if the install of the host could re-use the id of the agent, then what would solve my issue.

While this is not possible for now, we already have a similar feature in our wishlist that would allow a user to convert their existing Agent into a Host installation - so that should preserve the same Internet-ID code and other settings as well. We plan to add it in one of our future updates, but there's no specific ETA that we can provide on it right now.

Let us know if you have any questions.
May 12, 2023 5:16:07 pm EDT
if you need a beta tester, let me know.
May 12, 2023 5:22:47 pm EDT
Hello David,

Thank you for your suggestion.

Unfortunately, we usually don’t provide software for individual alpha-testing. However, when it comes to beta-testing, we usually share a beta version on our website for public testing.

Let us know if you have more questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)