New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Free license: Notification near the system tray and other changes

Links used in this discussion
David Li Bergolis, User (Posts: 12)
Jun 05, 2023 11:38:05 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial

Pauline wrote:

Hello David,

Thank you for the clarification.

Could you please try uninstalling your Host completely following this guide and then re-installing it from scratch? Please also make sure to add Host installation folder to any antivirus software exception list (even if you only have Windows Defender on that machine) as described here.
After re-installing Host please try connecting to it once again and see if the issue persists. You can also re-install Host using our default installation file - in this case the First connection warning window is not displayed as well.

Hope that helps.

OK, I did reinstall RU from scratch following your method, it doesn't matter at all, at the first connection I cannot click inside that banner, it doesn't react at all.
I have installed Windows 7, soo there is no Antivirus or Firewall or other security software installed at all.
This Computer has access to the LAN, but nit to the Internet.
I found out a workaround for solving that issue:
connecting via RDP (the Microsoft one, not the RU implementation).
Then connect via RU.
The banner appears and inside RDP it can be dismissed.
After that you can connect regulary via RU.

It works, OK, but I think it's not a sign of clean programming.
It's simply a bug, nothing dramatic, but at least it has to be honestly accepted as such a bug.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Jun 05, 2023 2:30:09 pm EDT
Hello Christer,

Thank you for your message.

We definitely have plans to implement such options in order to make the notification banner more convenient for our users. Unfortunately, this is still in the development and we can’t provide an exact ETA for this update yet. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Let us know if you have other questions.
Jun 05, 2023 2:49:49 pm EDT
Hello David,

Thank you for your message.

It seems from a screenshot in your previous message that you mean the one-time connection alert, is that correct? If this is the case, please note that you need to dismiss this alert physically from the remote Host side and clicking the OK button remotely won’t work, i.e. in your case that’s why you were able to dismiss it via RDP.

Let us know if you have more questions.
David Li Bergolis, User (Posts: 12)
Jun 05, 2023 4:06:55 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial

David Li Bergolis wrote:

Well, that the tray icon is mandatory to avoid problems with AV Software, that's not correct.
Look at UltraVNC, you are able to completely disable the tray icon and any notification at connection.
You can even open an integrated filemanager and transfer files from and to the host without any notification.
The host doesn't show any information at all when properly configured.
And nonetheless, AV Software don't flag it as Virus/Trojan/PUP, etc...

To be honest, UltraVNC needs an open port for ANY computer you want to control remote,
RU needs only ONE open port for the server, OK.

I really don't care about the systray icon at all, but the connection nag screen blocks any work or click at that area.
You could make a permanent and nonremovable systray icon that indicates idle, connection, errorstate, etc,...
but please remove that banner. It makes no sense for me to double annoy the host.
If it is possible with a paid version, it would be acceptable for me, although it would be a license-wise overkill,
because I'm a private user with 6 computers inside my family circle.
But I have to admit, that your price policy is really fair, so I would buy.

Is there any way to remove that banner?
It seems to be a bug, because I configured 5 computers with windows 10 and 1 computer with windows 7.
On the Windows 10 computers i can click on the "okay" button on the banner.
At my Windows 7 machine i cannot click at ANY button on that banner, neither physically, nor from remote.
I tried to reinstall RU Host with manually deleting any registry entries and any folder created (ProgramData and AppData).
That's only a problem with Windows 7. I tested it with XP, no problem at all.

My 6-year-old daughter understands almost immediately when I explain to her a mistake, sometimes with far less information.
Here, on the other hand, I explain a problem in minute detail, even with screenshots, and yet it is pretended that you don't understand what I'm talking about at all?
At the same time, everyone else here has understood exactly what is being said.
That's simply offending.

I don't expect that this error will be fixed at all, because it regards only Windows 7, that's OK for me.
I found a workaround and I posted it here for other people.
But I simply expect that an little issue will be at least called an issue inside the Software.
Jesus, it's just a bug, a fairly minor one at that, but it's a bug.

The next weekend I'll buy a license for my home, because it is still a great piece of Software and it's completely self hostable, and I support that developers.
But please for the next time.
Read the posts and don't try to take people for stupid.
Jun 05, 2023 6:00:23 pm EDT
Hello David,

I understand your frustration, but all I did was simply asked a clarifying question.
I’m glad to hear you’ve figured out a workaround for the issue and do apologize for the inconvenience. I’ll pass on the information regarding Windows 7 to our developers, so that they can see if they can reproduce it.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)