Community

Just an Update Info

Links used in this discussion
Shane Farmer, User (Posts: 5)
Oct 11, 2023 3:43:17 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
I assume the host goes offline after a period of time.  I just quit using it altogether because I could never reliably remote in after a certain version.

I can restart the service or exit the system tray icon and restart and can access another machine for about 15 minutes.  Then it stops working again.  

When on-site, it's not a huge deal.  When off-site, it's a big deal because I can't get to machines.  I just use a VPN and use VNC internally from a jump box now.  

I tried a VM, physical machine, removed our AV, fresh install, etc..  I have issues with all of them.  Even when they show online, when I try to connect, I can't.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Oct 11, 2023 4:35:53 pm EDT
Hello Shane,

Thank you for your message.

Would you be interested in sending us the most recent Host log files for examination? You can send them to support@remoteutilities.com. You can find the log files here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Remote Utilities - Host\Logs\.

Looking forward to your reply.
Matthew Cooper, User (Posts: 38)
Oct 11, 2023 5:24:11 pm EDT
I am yet to try the new version. I can firm that without the RUM (Cooper fix), this software is, for me, simply not reliable enough to use. Even the RUM is not 100% perfect, I still get issues connecting randomly.

@Pauline, I am very surprised that the problem cannot be replicated, it happens on every machine I install on, and I am over 500 hosts now.

I have not given up yet, but I have been installing a backup product for emergencies.

Reading the release notes of 7.2.1.0 it does not seem to me that anything specific will address this issue. I will optimistically update a few hosts and disable the RUM then report back.

I look forward to the clipboard transfer fixes, that has been driving me crazy for a long time.

Matthew
Edited:Matthew Cooper - Oct 11, 2023 6:15:21 pm EDT
Oct 11, 2023 6:27:37 pm EDT
Hello Matthew,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please clarify if by RUM you mean a certain third-party software? If this is the case, please note that we cannot assist with resolving compatibility issues with theirs-party software.
If you mean something else, please let us know. For example, connectivity issues might be caused by a variety of factors - if you mean that your facing issues staying connected to your remote Hosts, please feel free to send us the Host logs for examination. You can send the log files to support@remoteutilities.com or create a ticket and submit log files there.

Looking forward to your reply.
Oct 11, 2023 7:07:39 pm EDT
Hi Pauline

Yes, what I call the RUM is a series of scheduled tasks that check for and or restart the rmanservice on the host machine.

There is no need for you to provide support on this. That system is only there to assist with keeping RU working. I see you routinely respond to this issue asking for host logs, however, I am yet to see any real solution to the issue. You often point at windows updates, but for us, even machines with Windows Update disabled, these issues still occur.
My point above was that without these scheduled tasks, Remote Utilities is so unreliable it cannot be considered a long term remote support solution on its own. I am not alone in this experience. Shane has given up, as per his post above. I have a handful of hosts on the same LAN as the Self Hosted Server that connect via local IP and they too go offline in this same way.

I have previously posted a laundry list of issues that are ongoing as of 7.1.7.0
https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/forums/messages/forum1/message10215/1977-is-it-just-me

My opinion is that if RU is loosing customers to a system such as VNC, then you should take that very seriously.
I have nothing against VNC, but by comparison it is a very very basic remote access platform, and no full featured paid software should be seeing its customers heading that way.

The RU software potential is incredible. It has all the bones of an unbeatable platform in its versatility. What it lacks is reliable function. If users cannot reliably hit connect, and reach their target host systems, then it is all for nothing. I don't know about others here, but for me, when my customer calls and needs support, if I have to tell them to wait as my remote access will not let me connect, that defeats the purpose. My RUM goes a long way towards making the software reliable, but it is far from a perfect solution.

Matthew
Oct 11, 2023 8:24:30 pm EDT
Hello Matthew,

Thank you for the clarification.

I've checked our ticket system and email inbox, but, unfortunately, couldn't locate any log files you might've submitted earlier. Please note that the log files act as our primary diagnostic tool when we start to troubleshoot any issue and without them, unfortunately, it's hard to tell where exactly we should start looking for the root of the issue.
Please feel free to send us the Host logs (either via ticket or to our email, whichever works for you) - we can examine the log files and forward them to our developers for further review as well as schedule a remote session if necessary.

Hope that helps.
C Truss, User (Posts: 6)
Oct 13, 2023 7:53:45 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Matthew Cooper,

Completely agree,i myself can't fathom why we haven't seen post and threads on this issue. I guess we are just very unlucky.

It is thanks to your RUM/Cooper fix that i can continue to use Remote Utilities.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Oct 13, 2023 9:48:55 am EDT
Hello Matthew,

Sorry for the inconvenience. Let us try to get to the root cause of possible. First, to summarize the previous posts - does this issue manifest itself after rebooting the Host machine? That is, when the remote machie restarts (be it after Windows update or not) the Host may not start with Windows? I believe this is the core issue, correct?
Oct 13, 2023 9:59:57 am EDT
Hi Conrad

For me, no, the issue of the host going offline does not coincide with a reboot of the machine. It can go offline at any time. That is why I have the task setup to check the service hourly.

Matthew
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Oct 13, 2023 10:25:38 am EDT
Hi Matthew,

Is there the same security/antivirus software installed on all the machines? Have you tried to add the Host installation path to the exceptions? I know this sound a bit of a simple question, but 99% of time it is security software to blame. Especially, as you mention that Host can stop working all of sudden without a prior reboot/restart of the system.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)