Community

MSI Configuration not sending notification with Gmail Google Workspace

Links used in this discussion
Keith Hill, User (Posts: 11)
Oct 25, 2023 11:49:15 am EDT
After version 7.2.1.0 upgrade,  I am trying to create a new MSI installer, but the configurator is not allowing me to use gmail SMTP settings. I used to be able to allow "less secure" apps or could create a OTP / One Time Password for older apps but am no longer seeing that as an option as well.

What do I need to do to allow the configurator to send?  I am using my domain email that is hosted through Google Workspace?  I am using known good, verified credentials. See attachment

Keith
Attached Files
MSI Configuration not sending notification with Gmail Google Workspace
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2832)
Oct 25, 2023 3:19:40 pm EDT
Hello Keith,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please try entering your full email address into the "Username", "From email" and "Destination email" fields (for example, keith@nitro.com or example@gmail.com)? You can refer to this guide for more detailed instructions on setting up an SMTP server.

Hope that helps.
Mike G, User (Posts: 47)
Oct 26, 2023 7:05:19 am EDT
I gave up long ago trying to reliably use Gmail for installation emails. I ended up creating a free Mailjet account and have used that without issue. The free account is low volume (under a 100 emails a day) and is perfect for this. They support different ports, TLS etc and I have never had any issue using them...
Oct 27, 2023 12:50:01 pm EDT

Pauline wrote:

Hello Keith,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please try entering your full email address into the "Username", "From email" and "Destination email" fields (for example,  keith@nitro.com  or  example@gmail.com )? You can refer to this guide for more detailed instructions on setting up an SMTP server.

Hope that helps.

It does not work with gmail or google workspace accounts. The emails were fully formulated, I had redacted them and my IP address for security.

To resolve the issue I created a free MS Live account, enabled 2FA using Authy Authenticator and then enabled App Specific password for the Remote Utilities Installer. The tests were successful sending using the same app password for the One-Click installer and MSI Installer I created.  Hopefully this will help someone else.  It has not worked sending for me since 3/02/22 and has been frustrating.
Oct 27, 2023 12:50:50 pm EDT
Mike G,
Thanks for the enlightment!  I did similar, To resolve the issue I created a free MS Live account, enabled 2FA using Authy Authenticator and then enabled App Specific password for the Remote Utilities Installer. The tests were successful sending using the same app password for the One-Click installer and MSI Installer I created.  

Hopefully this will help someone else.  It has not worked sending for me since 3/02/22 and has been frustrating.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2832)
Oct 27, 2023 3:29:43 pm EDT
Hello Keith,

I'm glad to hear you've figured out the issue and it works for you now!

Yes, unfortunately, sometimes using Gmail doesn't work, so it might help using another email provider. In fact, a few of our users have reported that they've been successfully using MailJet just like Mike mentioned earlier.

Let us know if you have more questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)