Community

Remote Session support

Links used in this discussion
matrix, User (Posts: 5)
Nov 15, 2023 11:24:31 am EST
Support level: Starter
Before I was using the free user (10 user) license.
Today I upgraded to the basic 1 user license.
during the free version I was able to remotely assist a user (user was also logged in via remote desktop or from the console. and we both were able to see the same screen (windows 10 pro) and I could guide the user, without the user getting logged out.

After upgrading, now when I connect to a desktop for remote sharing, the remote user who is logged in via rdp gets disconnected and I get the full control.

How can we both share the screen while I help/training without the remote user getting logged out during a remote session ? please help. thanks
Nov 15, 2023 1:47:35 pm EST
After ready the forum, what I want is shadowing to see the screen in the 1 user license,
it was working while i was using the free license, what do i need to enable the shadowing, even with the power control the remote user gets disconnected.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Nov 15, 2023 2:24:37 pm EST
Hello,

Thank you for your message.

After upgrading, now when I connect to a desktop for remote sharing, the remote user who is logged in via rdp gets disconnected and I get the full control.

Unfortunately, this is expected behavior caused by the way the RDP client is configured on the desktop OSs (such as Windows 10 and 11). Please note that Windows 10 (due to being a desktop and not a server OS) does not allow to run a console (i.e. local) session and RDP or even two RDP sessions simultaneously - this is only possible with server OSs if the terminal server is set up (i.e. if there's an active RDP session on the remote machine, connecting to the machine in a Full Control/View Only connection mode will log out the existing RDP session).

After ready the forum, what I want is shadowing to see the screen in the 1 user license,
it was working while i was using the free license, what do i need to enable the shadowing, even with the power control the remote user gets disconnected.

Unfortunately, "shadowing" via RDP when used on a desktop OS is not possible - Microsoft only allows one simultaneous RDP connection for desktop systems. Attempting to start a second RDP session will prompt the user to end the active session. In addition, if the user is working at the computer console (locally), their local session is disconnected (locked) when a remote RDP connection is made. The remote RDP session will also be terminated if the user logs into Windows from the computer’s console (therefore, connecting in Full Control connection mode leads to RDP session being terminated).
The number of concurrent RDP connections on Windows is actually a license limitation from Microsoft side - they prohibit the creation of a workstation-based Terminal RDP server for multiple users to work simultaneously and suggest purchasing Windows Server instead which allows two simultaneous RDP connections by default.

Here are some of the options that might work for your purpose of shadowing the remote user:
1. You and the remote user can both connect to Host on the target remote machine using Full Control and View connection mode - you can both switch between Full Control and View Only depending on the requirements. However, please note that you need a 2-tech license for this purpose to allow simultaneous connection.
2. A remote user can install Host or run Agent on their own local machine that they use to connect to the target remote computer via RDP. You can also do so vice versa and use Host/Agent on your own local machine allowing a remote user to connect (you can restrict them to View Only mode in the Host Settings -> Modes if you prefer).

Hope that helps.
Nov 15, 2023 3:34:10 pm EST
Thanks for the quick reply.

the strange thing is that they way I want was working in the free version without any issue.

I have random clients (using agent) I help as well as some regular client (using host). and I thought upgrade will not let me remove and add clients in my viewer.

how come it was working with the free and not work with basic . Can you ask from developers,
Nov 15, 2023 3:42:42 pm EST
and add this as a feature request of shadowing
Nov 15, 2023 5:25:56 pm EST
Ok I found the solution of remote desktop shadowing and will need your help in setting this unattended.

based on your recommendations when I use the Remote agent instead of remote host we both can view and control the remote desktop without disconnecting the remote user.   I can I set this up on the remote pc for unattended remote access too. Because some time the remote user is there and some time the person is not there and I need to fix things or update any software.

your part 2 above needs to be configured so that this works in unattended mode too.
Please guide
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Nov 15, 2023 5:43:49 pm EST
Hello,

how come it was working with the free and not work with basic . Can you ask from developers,

Of course, I’ve forwarded this issue to our developers to see if they’re able to provide any input on it.

Ok I found the solution of remote desktop shadowing and will need your help in setting this unattended.

In case if you need unattended access, you should use Host instead of Agent since Agent is designed for attended-only access, so in cases when you need a remote machine to be available for connection 24/7, we recommend using Host instead.
Please note that if you want to use method 2, then you should be able to install Host on the remote user’s machine as well (which also allows you to install/update software since Host requires admin privileges for installation).

Let us know if you have more questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)