Community

Problem connecting to host using ID, but IP works

Links used in this discussion
Allan Hall, User (Posts: 43)
Dec 03, 2023 11:10:14 am EST
This gets a little weird so hang with me. I am using version 6 if that matters.

I have a client who has several PCs in one location that are running host. I can access all of them except for one remotely (on a different network across the internet). However, I can access that PC just fine from the same network if I switch to IP from ID. Here are some things I have tried...

1) Uninstall and reinstall the host software
2) Completely turn off all AV
3) Put specific allowances in the Windows firewall for the ports
4) Completely turn off the Windows firewall
5) Change the ports the host software is using
6) Change the IP address for the PC
7) Generate a new ID number
8) Generate a new certificate
9) Installing a completely new viewer on a PC that has never had it installed before

While making these changes I was on another PC on the local network and I would try it using IP and it would work fine, then I would disconnect and switch to ID and it would fail by continually telling me it could not connect.

Any ideas?
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Dec 04, 2023 11:53:32 am EST
Hello Allan,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please send us the latest Host log file for the Host in question? We will examine the logs to see if there’s something that might point to what’s causing this issue. You can locate the Host logs in the following folder: C:\ProgramData\Remote Utilities\Logs. You can send the logs to support@remoteutilities.com.

Looking forward to your reply.
Dec 04, 2023 7:41:00 pm EST
I went to C:\ProgramData\Remote Utilities and in that directory, there is one file named install, and two directories named msi and printer_output. There is no Logs directory. There is a logs directory under c:\program files(x86)\remote utilities - host. Perhaps these are the files you are looking for?
Dec 04, 2023 7:47:19 pm EST
Logs sent
Dec 04, 2023 7:54:47 pm EST
Hello Allan,

Thank you for the provided logs.

I will forward the issue along with the log files to our developers to see if they can provide any feedback on this.

I’ll get back to you with an update on this shortly.
Dec 13, 2023 8:38:00 pm EST
Any news? I would really like to get this resolved for my client.
Dec 14, 2023 1:09:23 pm EST
Hello Allan,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please clarify if you’re using only our public servers or if you’re using your custom RU Server as well?

Looking forward to your reply.
Dec 14, 2023 2:25:53 pm EST
Your public server when using ID, of course by IP I am on the same local network going straight to the machine. I have never had a custom server.
Dec 14, 2023 5:22:43 pm EST
Hello Allan,

Thank you for the clarification.

Could you please try downloading Agent of the latest version 7.2.2.0 on your Host machine where the issue occurs and see if you’re able to connect to this Agent from your Viewer using Internet-ID connection? You can download Agent on this page.

Let us know if this works for you.
Dec 14, 2023 6:35:02 pm EST
I downloaded and ran Viewer 7.2.2.0 as requested, the results were the same. I should also point out that I have tried connecting to the installed agent using the ID from multiple PCs, both on the same network and across the internet, the results are the same.
Edited:Allan Hall - Dec 14, 2023 6:36:02 pm EST

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)