New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Set default Authentication method

Links used in this discussion
stw, User (Posts: 16)
Feb 26, 2024 1:13:28 am EST
Hello there,

so we have a Host MSI configured both with a fixed password and the windows security.

When people are outside our company then of course the domain controller isn't reachable.

When the auth. method is set to automatic RUT still tries and tries to use the windows security. It won't or at least very delayed switch to the single password.

Why can't we just set a default authentication method?
For IP and Hostnames it should default to windows security and when we try to connect to a Internet ID it should pick single password.

Currently we have to add the Internet ID to the address book and then right click and set it to single password every time.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Feb 26, 2024 11:18:36 am EST
Hello,

What the 'Auto' setting does in connection properties -> Authentication is that it tries all authentication methods in the following order:

Custom (self-hosted) server security
Windows security
RU security
Single password

I.e. once the Viewer determines that the authentication method being checked is available, it uses it. That means that if you have multiple auth methods enabled, the ones that are higher in the list are used first.

For example, if you have Win Security and Single password enabled, Win Security will always be used. If you want to explicitly use a certain authentication method all the time, you should select it in the list.

For IP and Hostnames it should default to windows security and when we try to connect to a Internet ID it should pick single password.

That indeed makes a good suggestion for inclusion in our wish list. The ability to choose a default authentication method depending on the connection type used, that is.

Currently we have to add the Internet ID to the address book and then right click and set it to single password every time.

You can use default connection properties too.

Hope that helps.
Feb 27, 2024 6:26:37 am EST

I.e. once the Viewer determines that the authentication method being checked is available, it uses it. That means that if you have multiple auth methods enabled, the ones that are higher in the list are used first.

But checking all methods takes quite some time and if I remember correctly there always appears a window to enter the windows domain, username and password and it doesn't even get to single password. And therefore we're faster changing it manually.

That indeed makes a good suggestion for inclusion in our wish list. The ability to choose a default authentication method depending on the connection type used, that is.

This is definetly needed for our use case 👍
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Feb 27, 2024 1:15:03 pm EST
Hello,

But checking all methods takes quite some time and if I remember correctly there always appears a window to enter the windows domain, username and password and it doesn't even get to single password. And therefore we're faster changing it manually.

Checking here means "go through the list in the order of priority, and select the first enabled authentication method". If 'Auto' is set and Windows Security is enabled on the Host, it will never offer to use the Single password authentication, because the latter is at the bottom of the list.

If you have multilpe auth methods enabled on the Host, but still want to use Single password for some connections, you should explicitly select this method in the dropdown menu in connection properties.
MaxBlitzer, User (Posts: 68)
Mar 05, 2024 6:28:17 pm EST
The solution to this is simple and I wished it was implemented years ago when I complained about the time it takes to connect EACH AND EVERY TIME...
When there is a successful connection, simply make that the first connection attempt on the next connection attempt. That isn't even basic AI, that's just common sense.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Mar 05, 2024 8:07:55 pm EST
Hello Max,

Thank you for your message.

I will pass on your feedback to our developers to see if we can improve this in our future updates.
However, please note that just how Conrad have mentioned above, if you have a preferred authentication method for your Host, you can just select it in the connection properties, which will disable the algorithm and will use the specified method right away.

Hope that helps.
Mar 15, 2024 2:18:59 am EDT

Conrad Sallian wrote:

If you have multilpe auth methods enabled on the Host, but still want to use Single password for some connections, you should explicitly select this method in the dropdown menu in connection properties.

Yes I know but that's what I want to simplify by just setting a default authentication method for internet id once and then never have to worry about adding the PC, changing the properties, etc. It would just be a double click and just like that you're connected.

Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Mar 15, 2024 4:13:03 pm EDT
Hello,

Thank you for your feedback. I’ve already passed it along to our development team for their consideration.

Let us know if you have other questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)