New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

WoL not working

Links used in this discussion
Jure Vukina, User (Posts: 2)
Mar 22, 2024 11:50:36 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Hello, I am facing a problem with Remote Viewer on Windows 11 desktop PC.
I have configured the host PC (also running Win 11) to Wake on LAN and confirmed it works with at least two third party softwares - so i am absolutly sure it should boot the computer. But when I try to send WoL packet with Remote Viewer it just doesn't work. And yes, the Remote was connected to Host at least once before, I can confirm both devices are running the same latest version of Remote Utilities (7.2.2.0) and there is no antivirus blocking the program from sending the packet - i have also created an exception in Firewall. Can anyone assist me further as I have searched the whole community forum and found some similar questions, but all of them remained unsolved or there was a bug which should be resolved by now. All other functions of the Remote Utilities work as expected and I am facing no problems with the software otherwise.
Thank you in advance.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Mar 22, 2024 4:58:08 pm EDT
Hello Jure,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please let us know if your Viewer is located in the same LAN and subnet as the target Host? If they’re not in the same network, you can try waking the target Host via an intermediate Host as described here.

Looking forward to your reply.
Benny Tucker, User (Posts: 32)
Mar 22, 2024 8:20:55 pm EDT
I can confirm the exact same problem that you have described. It's something to do with Windows 10/11. I cannot get it to work with anything newer than Windows XP. I have multiple networks in multiple loacations, and the only way to get it to work with the intermediate host is when waking the XP machine. All other machines in these networks just does not get the magic packet. Firewall maybe ? I don't know. I've tried firewall rules to allow the magic packets and it just doesn't work. I can send magic packets if I can log into another machine within the same lan and it works. Just not using the intermediate host option. Just won't work as advertised. I would like to know how to resolve this issue also.
Mar 25, 2024 1:23:25 pm EDT
Hello Benny,

Could you please let us know if the WoL work for Hosts running on Windows 10/11 when they’re in the same network?

Jure Vukina, User (Posts: 2)
Mar 27, 2024 12:31:28 pm EDT

Pauline wrote:

Hello Jure,

Could you please let us know if your Viewer is located in the same LAN and subnet as the target Host? If they’re not in the same network, you can try waking the target Host via an intermediate Host as described here.

Thank you for your reply.

As said above, i can confirm they are in the same subnetwork and also they are correctly configured. WoL works with third-party programs, but not with Remote Utilities. I strongly beleive there is a bug in the program.
Mar 27, 2024 7:25:54 pm EDT
Hello Jure,

I will forward the issue to our developers for a review to see if they can provide any feedback on this.

I’ll get back to you with an update on it shortly.
Benny Tucker, User (Posts: 32)
Mar 30, 2024 12:10:03 pm EDT

Hello Benny,

Could you please let us know if the WoL work for Hosts running on Windows 10/11 when they’re in the same network?

Hi Pauline,
Yes, I can confirm that the WOL works when I'm in the same network. And as noted, I can get it to work with an XP computer when using the intermediate host function. Just not able to get it to work with the Windows 10/11 operating system.
Thanks once again for your time.
Apr 01, 2024 3:59:23 pm EDT
Hello Benny,

Thank you for the confirmation.

I will submit the issue to our developers to see if we’re able to reproduce it in our environment and implement a fix for it.

I’ll keep you updated.
Jure Vukina, User (Posts: 1)
May 21, 2024 5:31:11 am EDT
Hi, any updates on this? We have a client waiting for the solution. Thank you.
May 21, 2024 7:39:55 pm EDT
Hello Jure,

Im checking on the issue with our developers and whether they’re able to provide any feedback.

Thank you for your patience.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)