New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Windows Server 2012 R2 (Multiple Local Users)

Links used in this discussion
Dask DT, User (Posts: 6)
Dec 10, 2014 1:23:47 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
I am running Windows Server 2012 R2. I have multiple users logged into the server. Is there a way to view or switch between their desktops? Currently the only way to view their desktop without kicking them off the server is to use the Agent program, but this has to be initialized by the user so it doesn't offer much help to me as an administrator, and only one instance of the Agent program can be run at a time. I would prefer a way to be able to view all of the active desktops on the server. So if John and Sue are both working on their virtual desktops on the server I would like to see both of those desktops in my Viewer without John or Sue having to take any action(s) themselves. I don't like that they can disconnect me by closing Agent.exe, and if I log into the server by adding a computer the normal way, it just takes me to the login server screen, not any active user screen.

My server users are logging into the server via RDP, so even connecting with RDP will kick them off. I just need a way to view and control multiple virtual remote desktop server users without their knowledge or approval.

Thank you.
Edited:Dask DT - Dec 10, 2014 1:25:38 pm EST
Anton Kalugin, User (Posts: 209)
Dec 10, 2014 1:37:22 pm EST
Hello Dask,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please clarify what do you mean by "normal way"? Which user you use for running Host?

Looking forward to your reply.
Dec 10, 2014 2:00:39 pm EST
As clearly documented above, the "normal" way is by adding a computer by IP address. This method results (as described above) in the "view window" displaying the "to log on press CTRL+ALT+DELETE" screen. This is because anyone connecting to the server is prompted with the logon interface as there are multiple users logged into the server at any given time, each with their own individual desktops.

I need a way to see ALL of the desktops for the users which are logged into the server WITHOUT those users using the Agent.exe program.

I need to have multiple connections to a single computer (server). As far as I am aware, RemoteUtilities only allows you to open ONE connection to a computer.

http://i.imgur.com/AF3ZWI5.jpg

I don't understand why I am able to chose which terminal session I want to use - as this indicates that RemoteUtilities is able to recognize that there are multiple users logged into the server, but I can't chose which desktop I want to view.
Edited:Dask DT - Dec 10, 2014 2:16:58 pm EST
Dec 10, 2014 2:22:40 pm EST
As documented in the photo linked in this reply, I even have the Domain Controller which is also the Active Directory Server linked to the Viewer and yet it doesn't list any users (4 are logged on right now) or show their desktops.

http://i.imgur.com/OEBYBxJ.jpg
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Dec 10, 2014 2:23:31 pm EST
Hello Dask,

You don't have to run the Agent for each user session. You only need to install the Host on the server. The Host runs for the entire system.

Then when in Full Control/View mode use the "terminal session" toggle icon to switch between sessions.

Is that what you are looking for?

Thanks.
Dec 10, 2014 2:28:59 pm EST

Conrad Sallian wrote:
Hello Dask,

You don't have to run the Agent for each user session. You only need to install the Host on the server. The Host runs for the entire system.

Then when in Full Control/View mode use the  "terminal session" toggle icon  to switch between sessions.

Is that what you are looking for?

Thanks.

Yes I believe so, but it doesn't change the desktop view. It just stays on the current desktop I had it on when I launched the connection.

EDIT: THANK YOU! Yes, this now works, it was just lagging a bit before it switched so it didn't appear to be working. Thank you very much!
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Dec 10, 2014 2:40:07 pm EST
You are always welcome  

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)