New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Issue with RDP from offsite

Links used in this discussion
droodle, User (Posts: 6)
Jan 06, 2015 5:42:38 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
New to RU after binning  [censored] .

I set it all up at home installing a host and a viewer which all worked well inc RDP however now i left the house and trying to RDP from outside my home network does not work.

I am given a RDP session pop up and asked for credentials but then the login just sits there saying something such as ..

connecting ..

localhost: 40584

I can connect fine using the Full control option but i would prefer to use RDP .. as far as i know nothing should be blocked from my end FW wise.

cheers.
Jan 06, 2015 5:43:08 pm EST
PS i am connecting using Internet-ID
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Jan 06, 2015 6:15:43 pm EST
Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Still looks like a firewall issue. If your Windows Firewall is enabled on the remote PC, please make sure that the public checkbox is selected for "Remote Desktop" in the exclusion list. See the screenshot below.

[IMG]https://www.remoteutilities.com/images/forum/rdpoverid.png[/IMG]

I'm assuming that you are connecting over the Internet using the Internet ID as a "tunnel" for the RDP connection (the so called RDP over ID feature).  

Hope that helps.
Jan 06, 2015 6:33:22 pm EST
Hi Conrad .. cheers for swift response .. the FW has been totally disabled on the host (2008)

i may as an exercise install a host on another system on my network and see if i get the same issue (on a 2012svr)

correct using RDP-over-ID
Jan 06, 2015 6:47:31 pm EST
Yes, that would be nice. I also recommend to try it on a workstation as well (e.g. Win 7, 8 or 10) to isolate it in case it's a server-related issue.
Jan 06, 2015 7:02:42 pm EST
Hmm yeah don't have any non servers at hand .. so i get the same on Win2012svr again FW disabled

i have a netgear 8960N DSL router - but again i can't see an issue there.
Jan 06, 2015 8:27:20 pm EST
Thanks for the info. I will escalate this issue to the 2nd tier support and get back to you soon.
Jan 07, 2015 6:35:23 pm EST
Hello,

Could you please check the RDP settings on the remote side, namely the security settings. They might be too restrictive to allow the client to connect.
Jan 14, 2015 6:57:07 am EST

droodle wrote:

Everything looks ok. Are you sure there are no other security software that might be blocking connection? Or maybe network device in-between the Viewer and Host (such as a router).
Jan 14, 2015 6:23:18 pm EST
Hmm ok .. not sure what else to test - yes it could be my inbound adsl router .. but unfortunatly i can't just change that to test.

I assume we can have a viewer on a host as well so i could try a connection to other way round ?

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)