Community

Can't connect to a remote PC

Links used in this discussion
tlimon, User (Posts: 4)
Jan 23, 2015 8:46:15 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
A few days ago i installed RU on a PC at office 1 (both host and viewer)and the same installation on a PC at office 2. All settings are the same except Internet-IDs.Yestarday I had made a succesfull connection from office 1 to office 2.Todoay, i tried many times to be connected to the opposite direction (from offfice 2 to office 1)and it was impossible, even after firewall deactivated.What might be the cause. Thanks.
lulu, User (Posts: 5)
Jan 23, 2015 9:25:35 am EST
I'm also having connection issues to my remote PC.

I was able to connect to this PC on my network few days ago.
I used it almost every day for about one week or so without issues.
But last 2days I'm not able to connect.
Viewer is reporting my PC as "offline".
When I try to login manually, viewer tries to login (It took more time as when remote PC is really offline), but after few seconds of displaing LOGON status go back to offline.

I'm using local Remote Utilities Server on my local PC. My remote PC (host) is connecting to RU server using internet ID. I'm using Viewer on my local PC (the same PC where RU server is running on).

I can see my remote PC in the RU server idle connection's list. When I turn off remote PC, it dissapear from the list, so remote PC is able to connect my RU server, but Viewer is not able to login.

I'm using the latest 6.0.0.4 version of Viewer and Host, RU server version 2.0
I tried to use Viewer v5 with the same result.
Edited:lulu - Jan 23, 2015 9:26:58 am EST
tlimon, User (Posts: 4)
Jan 23, 2015 9:50:12 am EST
At first, something should be clarified to my point of view. I think that changing the roles for a PC from local to remote and vice versa whenever it's required,there shouldn't be any problem.Is it so? After that connection issues have nothing to do with RU software but only with the internet setting and security software.
Jan 23, 2015 10:17:21 am EST
I enabled event log in my Viewer's options.
It seems like Viewer/RU Server (192.168.1.80) is able to connect to Host "K" (192.168.1.91), but when connection is estabilished, it is closed immediately:

56:10:16_16-01-2015_882 Connection #861109. Connection to "K". Mode: <Authorization>. Connecting...
56:10:16_16-01-2015_883 InetConnection #861109. Internet connection to K (192.168.1.80:5655).
57:10:16_16-01-2015_010 InetConnection #861109. Method "Connect" - OK. K connected to ID server: 192.168.1.80.
58:10:16_16-01-2015_586 InetConnection #861109. Connect success. K connected to ID server: 192.168.1.80.
58:10:16_16-01-2015_586 Connection #861109. Connection to "K" established. Mode: <Authorization>.
00:11:16_16-01-2015_322 Context #861109 removed. Mode: <Authorization>.

Is it problem with license? I cannot register my host using viewer because I cannot log into it
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Jan 23, 2015 1:23:17 pm EST
Hello everyone,

Let me answer your questions.

Todoay, i tried many times to be connected to the opposite direction (from offfice 2 to office 1)and it was impossible, even after firewall deactivated.What might be the cause.

So long as you use ID connection, the firewall has nothing to do with it. Please, check this KB article to troubleshoot connection issues with ID.

At first, something should be clarified to my point of view. I think that changing the roles for a PC from local to remote and vice versa whenever it's required,there shouldn't be any problem.Is it so?

There are two main modules of the software - Viewer and Host, and each plays its only role. Any PC can be both a Viewer and a Host at the same time, of course. The modules do not interfere.

After that connection issues have nothing to do with RU software but only with the internet setting and security software.

If you have been successfully connecting before and all of a sudden a connection no longer works, then yes - it may have something to do with security software. For example, your antivirus software signature database may update and start detecting RU as malware. Just an example.

Viewer is reporting my PC as "offline".
When I try to login manually, viewer tries to login (It took more time as when remote PC is really offline), but after few seconds of displaing LOGON status go back to offline.

I can see my remote PC in the RU server idle connection's list.

Please, check the same KB article I referred to above. Also, make sure that your antivirus software treats the Viewer well, or better just add the Viewer installation path to the exception list in your antivirus program.

Is it problem with license? I cannot register my host using viewer because I cannot log into it

If your Host trial is over you won't be able to connect in a connection mode (like Full Control). However, you 'll be able to simply log in using the "Login" feature in the Viewer. After you log in, use the "Register remote Host" right-click menu item to transfer your license remotely.

By the way, in the version 6.1 update we'll remove "Host registration" altogether. The Host will become a free module. All license management will be done in the Viewer.
Jan 23, 2015 2:13:02 pm EST
I tried to deactivate antivirus protection on my local PC and to turn of firewall. Still no luck.
According to VirusTotal.com my Host is ok for Avast. The same AV is installed on my host PC.

Communication between host and viewer seems to be working. I can see on the server Active connection list that there is some communication between my and remote PC. See link to RU server screenshot.
There are sent and received bytes. It seems correct to me.

Is there any fallback mechanism when host is not able to reach local RU server, then it try to connect different (remoteutilities.com) RU server?
Jan 23, 2015 5:16:22 pm EST
Lulu,

Do you have both Viewer and Host on the same local network?

Is there any fallback mechanism when host is not able to reach local RU server, then it try to connect different (remoteutilities.com) RU server?

No, due to the program design, there is no fallback mechanism. You need to manually change the ID server setting in the Host settings if you need to.
Jan 24, 2015 3:33:03 am EST
Yes I have Viewer Host and RU server on my local network.
Viewer and RU server on the same PC.

I tried to connect using IP address, but result is the same.
Jan 24, 2015 8:21:08 am EST

lulu wrote:
Yes I have Viewer Host and RU server on my local network.

Try to create a new connection in the Viewer instead of editing the existing one. After all the direct connection by an IP address is the simplest connection method possible. If you still cannot connect, please carefully check this list https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/kb/cannot-connect-using-direct-connection/  

Viewer and RU server on the same PC.

We do not recommend doing this if the Viewer is a laptop that you often take with you somewhere. The RU Server works as an intermediary and should be available by its external IP address. However, if you are with a laptop and change networks your IP address will also change.

Finally , if you are the only user and only have a couple of PCs to control, you don't even have to bother with configuring RU Server. It's an advanced option for larger setups/organizations. You can perfectly go with the default ID service or (if you control your router) you can set up direct connection through port forwarding and get the maximum performance.
Jan 26, 2015 7:38:24 am EST
I found it, I think.

It starts working again yesterday. I dont know why. Maybe beacuse of Host PC restart.
It works for a one day and now I'm back in the same situation like I reported above.

What I did:
I run concurrently move file operation and terminal with long running task using Viewer.
Host PC was disconnected during terminal and move file operation (Unastable Wifi connection).
After 10min or so, host PC get connected to the local network again,
but Viewer did not reconnect and I had to kill its process because it hangs.

Now I'm in the same situation like before - Host is connected to the local RU server, but Viewer is not able to reach the Host.

Host is laptop PC. It can be anytime put to stand by and/or disconnected from wifi network.
How can I get a rid of this situation?

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)